cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 74

Re: McSvHost.exe McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and must close

Been now around 10-12 fixed by this woraround. Lucky I noticed a poster mentioning it fixing his issue. I am trying to get Mcafee to check this and at least pass it onto tech support .

Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 74

All can you post if you can the version of alcohol 120% that you had installed?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 74

This might be useful, although if the change log is correct the latest version is 18 months old. From http://support.alcohol-soft.com/en/viewchangelog.php

Alcohol Software - Support - Changelog.png

kampolis86
Former Member
Message 24 of 74

alcohol 120 v2.0.1.2033

yahad
Former Member
Message 25 of 74

You have my sympathy. I have had the technicians take over my computer more than once to fix this, I have installed a completely new purchase of VirusScan, and the problem just keeps coming back. Nothing touches it. I hope somebody at McAfee has a "Eureka!" moment and the cause and cure are found. Also, the posts I've read so far indicate it may be a problem that is unique to XP and maybe Dell machines, although I probably haven't read every post on the subject.

cutswood
Former Member
Message 26 of 74

I am experiencing the same problem and can confirm that my pc is a Dell4700 with xP operating system

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 74

I assume you have nothing installed that I listed that can cause this?

Maybe those with the issue if you can post your PC model and maker and OS this might help.

cutswood
Former Member
Message 28 of 74

Tony ,I have trawled through the posts on this subject McSvHost.exe etc etc and cannot find a list. I do not have Netguard  or Alcohol 120% installed and have never used these programs but I have spotted a post quoting Firefox and I operate internet access using Firefox.

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 74

All--- I trawled all the posts in several threads and XP is a common denominator. What I need is what else have you got installed as something must also be installed to cause this. I have stripped down my XP test box to basic programs only so if I find any common non standard programs installed I will test them.

We have found alcohol 120% is a trigger and I have passed that onto Mcafee.

cutswood

Re netguard if you have the Mcafee firewall installed you have netguard if you are running 2011 Mcafee version. (Security centre 11)

Re the list as follows

Netguard running disable it in firewall settings

alcohol 120% installed

A Hp multifunction printer installed. Fix is test PC with all the printer drivers and software uninstalled. If issue reinstall only the drivers.

HP Pc with HP clould (Zumo backup) software installed. (this caused cpu cycles increase for mcsvhost not the popup error)

kfn57
Former Member
Message 30 of 74

I stopped using Firefox because McAfee was not able to keep up.  Thought at first that the problem I was having was because of Firefox so I uninstalled it, uninstalled all web browsers, installed IE8 (event hough it causes other programs to not work because it is not XHTML compliant and the Java VM is non compliant as well) and still had the problem. 

I don't have Alcohol (although at first I was thinking of drinking again because the problem happened so often).

I have an old HP printer that was built before "the cloud" was coined, plugged in to the side of my computer.

I do have a network printer from Epson.

I am on XP, yes it is current.

On a brighter note the problem now does not occur all the time but every once in a while.  Which is better, so someone fixed some of the problem in one of the last couple of updates from McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community