Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 41 of 74

Re: McSvHost.exe McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and must close

Okay, I deleted the empty image without messing up the post. That must have been the failed screenshot.

I looked for a saved screenshot showing the type of information you can get from those message boxes you see when you "Click this", but I can't find one. As I recall you can end up with three types of information box, and if you're going to do a screenshot you need to move the first one off to the edge somewhere or the second one sits on top of it and obscures it.

The information would be helpful because McSvhost is a service that has lots of other services running underneath it. It will be one of those that has crashed out and stopped McSvhost. As I remember, McSvhost should start up again automatically. I looked in "services.msc" (from the Run command) for the Properties, and you can change them to make it restart every time (I found that mine was set to give up after the second retry).

McAfee services.JPG

McAfee services properties 1.JPG

McAfee services properties 2.JPG

Peacekeeper
Message 42 of 74

Did you try disabling Netguard? The setting is in the firewall settings. There is supposed to be a fix for this issue coming next month so fingers crossed.

laurah
Former Member
Message 43 of 74

Thank you again, Hayton.  Here is the screenshot with the details, and I am going to try your suggestion to change the properties, too.

McAfee deets.bmp

laurah
Former Member
Message 44 of 74

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. Between you and Hayton I have a couple of things to try now. I think I had tried to disable Netguard before but encountered some obstacle; I don't remember what, so it is worth a try again!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and thank you again for helping!

Laura

laurah
Former Member
Message 45 of 74

I did this, as suggested by Hayton. I also disabled Netguard as suggested by Peacekeeper. The combination seems to have worked as I am not getting error messages anymore.  However, I'd like to know if I should leave Netguard disabled, and what protection I am losing by doing so. I do use McAfee Site Advisor, and it looks to me as if it does much the same as Netguard.  Am I correct?

Thanks to Hayton and Peacekeeper for the help and for following up!

As I remember, McSvhost should start up again automatically. I looked in "services.msc" (from the Run command) for the Properties, and you can change them to make it restart every time (I found that mine was set to give up after the second retry).

Laura

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 46 of 74

I'm glad that the problem seems to have gone away. Let's hope it doesn't come back 

I'm afraid I can't offer any explanation of Netguard's operations. I'm pretty sure it operates in a different way from SiteAdvisor - you can certainly turn it on or off for individual programs. Peacekeeper might know.

Peacekeeper
Message 47 of 74

Yes it does work using trusted source data. Better with both running but with Netguard off for a few more weeks should not be a problem

dc2sd
Former Member
Message 48 of 74

I run a new HP Pavilions Laptop; 64 bit, Windows 7 OS.  I am not tech smart by any means.  Since I already pay a small fortune to my ISP, I decided to use their McAfee Suite which is included for their customers.  After unwrapping my new laptop and installing the Suite through their website, I encountered multiple warnings per day regarding the McAfee Service Host.

I did everything that I could find in this forum to correct the problem.  I hit "send info to Microsoft" each and every time the pop up box appeared.  It was annoying and honestly I'm not sure exactly what other problems I encountered with my laptop that were directly related to this issue.

I used the online customer service chat and they insisted I contact my ISP since I was obtaining the McAfee product through them.  I contacted my ISP and they insisted that I contact McAfee.  After months of just plain old nothing from either ISP or McAfee, I resolved the issue myself.

It's obvious just how long it takes this company to do anything despite the overabundance of info customers have sent in, and the many requests for addtional info McAfee still asks for.  Like I said - I am not even close to a tech expert, but I mean whats up with getting a fix on it?

My solution?  I bought ESET NOD32 and once I removed my ISP's Suite and installed ESET...the problems have all vanished entirely!  Haven't had so much as a beep, gurgle or flashing warning sign since.

Reminds me of that old saying "just because it's free doesn't mean it's quality".

Best $33 I ever spent.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 49 of 74

@dc2sd : Your ISP, I feel, was right and whoever you were dealing with via online chat was wrong. It's a McAfee-related problem, so McAfee should have dealt with it. Whatever happened to the concept of taking ownership of a problem? So now you're running another product and no problems at all? Well, that's too bad for McAfee I guess. A pity you didn't find the customer forums earlier.

Good luck with Nod32. It has its drawbacks too, or so I'm told. But if it works for you ...

dc2sd
Former Member
Message 50 of 74

No doubt that ESET (and all of the other brands) has it's problems and bugs.  I did try everything I found here in the Forums to correct the problem (i.e. Netguard, Site Advisor etc...) but nothing seemed to work.  After the Cust. Svc. rep told me to contact my ISP and they told me to contact McAfee I gave up.  So I did try all the fixes I could find here.

Thanks for your time.

DC2SD

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community