Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

McShield.exe has stopped unexpectedly, OnAccess Scanner randomly turns off

Jump to solution

I have recently reformatted my computer using AlienRespawn to factory settings. So far, every software including windows is working fine except McAfee.

I have McAfee Security Center already installed in my factory settings recovery image, so I proceeded to update it like usual but was not able to. (Perhaps it was too outdated)

Anyway, I proceeded to uninstall the existing old McAfee SC (yes, total clean removal including using MCPR) and downloaded a fresh copy from my online account. Everything will work fine until OnAccess Scanner will randomly turn off, causing a pop up to tell me my computer is at risk. After I reenabled it, it will be turned off again sooner or later (sometimes several minutes later, sometimes up to hours later), completely at random. Sometimes On Access Scanner will crash, resulting in windows trying to report the problem for a solution. I've checked Windows Services and I can see McShield (and all other McAfee services) are set to automatic and are all running when it is fine.

I've gone through windows event logs and found that McShield.exe crashed several times and restarted, sometimes with faulting module: netprofm.dll_unloaded, sometimes with faulting module: ole32.dll, sometimes with unknown module.

It seems to me that, when it does crash, it began to restart, and that is when OAS will be turned off, to which I'll try to reenable it without problems. Sometimes though, OAS will turn off immediately after I reenable it, unless I manually start it again through Windows Services. Occasionally, OAS will show up in grey bar trying to restart for some time without success. I will also note that, when this happens, the computer will freeze briefly, almost unnoticeable unless I'm watching streaming media or listening to music (video or music will pause for about 1 second).

The other weird behaviour I notice is that, when OAS is trying to restart, sometimes Mcafee will update itself (scan for update, found update, and proceed to update). It has already done so several times within an hour, which is really abnormal.

I've tried completely remove McAfee and reinstalling twice without success. I've also performed a thorough virus scan which shows up clean. I've also tried MVT, which shows up clean (when OAS is not acting up) but MVT will show that McShield not starting as the only problem when I use MVT at the moment OAS crashes. Also, this is a fresh Windows copy restored from the factory backup, which should not have problems in the first place.

I am running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit with all latest updates, IE 10 and all.

The Windows is a fresh copy (image restored from factory settings backup using AlienRespawn)

Other than this occasional OAS crashing problem, McAfee is working fine. Could this be hardware related or just purely software? As far as I know, my hardware passed all hardware diagnostics, chkdsk shows HDD is fine, memtest (3 full passes) shows memory is fine.

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong. Please help! Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 25 of 25

Re: McShield.exe has stopped unexpectedly, OnAccess Scanner randomly turns off

Jump to solution

To date, the problem has not recurred. So I assume the case is solved, but I do not know which update or what action taken by McAfee fixed this though. Seems like it resolved on itself. Thanks for all who had tried to help.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 2 of 25

Jump to solution

I would like to add that I do not have other Antivirus programs, not even preinstalled ones or trials. McAfee SC was the only one that came preinstalled from the factory on this laptop.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 3 of 25

Jump to solution

Now I've tried reformatting my laptop again and did a fresh reinstallation from factory image. This time round, I updated windows according to the types and order of dates the updates are released (oldest to latest), 3-5 updates at each go (patched, reboot and patch others again, separate update for .NET updates), in hopes to have a more stable system. I installed McAfee Security Center last after updating windows, Java 7 Update 25, Adobe Reader XI, Flash Player, Chrome and all software I can think of. This should have given me a very stable system, but the problem still persists, although not as frequent as before.

It has happened twice in 3 days since I reformatted, totally out of random. I really hope any McAfee techs can follow up my issue. MVT shows up clean. Any other users facing this issue too? This has never happened when I was still using the older McAfee SC with the smaller layout. I really do not want to dump McAfee for another AV software because of this annoying glitch.

My laptop specs are:

Intel i7 Q740 @1.73GHz

8 Gb ram

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit

Alienware M15X

I might add that the McAfee Security Center subscription came with the laptop purchase from Dell. But I installed the SC from my online account as the one from the factory restore image is no longer supported nor updateable.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 4 of 25

Jump to solution

This was the latest event logs I found when OAC turned off. This was from the same day, just a few minutes apart, and the only failures so far for today.

Application Error, Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: mcshield.exe, version: 1.1.1.244, time stamp: 0x51196606

Faulting module name: netprofm.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfd0

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000075f4

Faulting process id: 0xa18

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce86b7fe22d71d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\netprofm.dll

Report Id: 8aea06c5-f2c1-11e2-9edd-842b2b83bfc6

Time was 7:26:25 pm

And again:

Application Error, Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: mcshield.exe, version: 1.1.1.244, time stamp: 0x51196606

Faulting module name: netprofm.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfd0

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000007fef8ac75f4

Faulting process id: 0x191c

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce86ce5e46a258

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe

Faulting module path: netprofm.dll

Report Id: 387ffe33-f2c2-11e2-9edd-842b2b83bfc6

Time was 7:31:17 pm

Also, further going through other logs regarding McAfee, I found others that maybe related:

Error, Event ID 7031

The McAfee Anti-Malware Core service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Time was 7:26:49 pm (notice about a few seconds after the mcshield.exe crashed, refer to above)

And again,

Error, Event ID 7031

The McAfee Anti-Malware Core service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Time was 7:31:39 pm (again, a few seconds after the 2nd crash of mcshield.exe)

I also found these:

Warning, Event ID 1014

Source: DNS Client Events

Name resolution for the name updatekeepalive.mcafee.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Time was 7:28:58 pm (in between the 2 mcshield.exe crashes)

I want to note also that around this time, I had a disconnection from the internet (this is a fault of the local ISP, occasional disconnection is normal here. Nothing wrong with my laptop or McAfee itself). I wonder if this has anything to do with the internet going down. I was NOT able to replicate this problem by physically switching off the modem or disconnecting from the internet through software means.

When this happened, I was in the middle of surfing the internet, but from past experiences (previous reformat), this can happen anytime, even when the PC is just left idle.

McAfee techs, please respond and help me out as I am really out of wits.

Thanks in advance!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 25

Jump to solution

To get a proper technical response you'd be better off contacting Technical Support directly via the link listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's free by phone or online chat.

The chances of getting s technical response in the forums is slim as these are mostly peer-to-peer.

That said I can alert my support contact to look in here if you wish.

Sorry your original post wasn't answered in a timely manner.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 6 of 25

Jump to solution

I believe Tech Support may not be of much help even if they take control of my machine, of which I am also a bit uncomfortable with. I mean what can they detect as everything shows up clean and normal. Do note that this is a fresh reformat and what I consider a very cleanly updated windows 7, fresh from the factory settings image, just like the day I switched on the computer when it was new.

The problem occurs very rarely now and there is no way for me to replicate it. Also, do note that I do NOT have other extra software installed other than the ones that came preinstalled at the moment. No other games yet as I'm trying to monitor the laptop for a few more days. Only things new are Chrome, Adobe Reader, Java 7 and McAfee SC (installed from web account). All other software and programs are working normally and there is nothing abnormal with my event logs other than the ones mentioned. Everything is working perfectly fine thus far other than the occasional crashes of mcshield.exe as mentioned above.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 25

Jump to solution

Are you up to date with optional Windows updates. .net and all that sort of thing?

Maybe then a Windows Help forum might be of more assistance.

Such as:  http://www.sevenforums.com/ whim I find invaluable. 

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 8 of 25

Jump to solution

Yes, totally updated and the last time I checked, I do not have any updates left to update. In fact, I spent an entire night and morning without sleep just to update windows, bit by bit, step by step, carefully following the release dates and rebooting everytime. It was a very daunting task indeed, in hopes of having a very stable system.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 25

Jump to solution

A couple of weeks ago I went though something similar with my Vista (main) hard drive which suddenly failed.   I recall McAfee wouldn't install until I updated something, wish I could remember what it was, but maybe that's irrelevant here.

I too get the occasional McShield has stopped running, but not very often.  In the past they've found it's usually caused by software clashes, but difficult to pinpoint inidivually unless they remote in and monitor for a while.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 10 of 25

Jump to solution

Oh, you mentioned you get occasional Mcshield stopped running? Even now? Is this normal?

Can you please be so kind to tell me more about yours? Does a red pop up shows up saying something like "Your computer might be at risk" ?

Mine, when it happens, will have this pop up showing up, and if I am quick enough to open the McAfee SC window, I can see that OAC is trying to start up (restarting after being stopped to be precise).

Sometimes, when it happens, there will be another small window popping up, which is windows error reporting, telling me that On Access Scanner has stopped working and trying to report a problem to Microsoft.

What I am worried is that, will this pop up interfere with full screen applications like games? I haven't tested this as I have no games installed at the moment. It will be VERY annoying if this pop up interferes with full screen apps.

Also, I wonder what software might be clashing with McAfee?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community