cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 1 of 37

McAfee uses 99% of my CPU scanning videos for almost 2 minutes.

After update this week my suscription, I cannot visualize (in the Explorer) or to play any video, because McAfee (mcshield) halt the system for almost two minutes using 99% of the CPU.

This didn't happen to the previous version of McAfee that was using.

What does it happen? How can I correct it?

I have McAfee Security Center 10.0.570 with McAfee VirusScan 14.0.306, McAfee Personal Firewall 11.0.378, McAfee Site Advisor 3.0.1.164 and McAfee QuickClean & Shredder 10.0.240.

My sistem: Windows XP Pro SP2 over AMD Sempron processor 2600+ 1.60 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HD.

I will thank all help.

36 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 37

Re: McAfee uses 99% of my CPU scanning videos for almost 2 minutes.

Good idea to update to SP3 though that not the cause better for your security.

Two thoughts

1 What video player ?

2. Try loading MVT and running it MVT

See if it sees anything out of place

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 3 of 37

Thank you for your help.

The problem is presented, for example, running Media Player Classic or BSPlayer. But also when I try to modify the file's name of the video, or when I try to see their properties (right click). Only VLC works to play the videos, I don't know why...

Since three or four year I use the 3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus in Spanish. But this problem I only have it in one of the three PC where I have installed VirusScan, and only with the new version 14.0.306.

I have uninstall and install again the McAfee. And I have uninstall all media program and codecs too. But the problem with the mcshield.exe continues appearing when I want to work with the files of videos (renaming, etc.).

After running the MVT, this program detects these problems:

VirusScan - 3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus 14.0.306
Problem: Language is not supported
Fixed: Registry entry problem(s) detected (3)
SecurityCenter 10.0.570
Fixed: Registry entry problem(s) detected (1)
Problem: Missing files (11)
Personal Firewall - 3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus 11.0.378
Fixed: Registry entry problem(s) detected (1)
Problem: Missing files (1)

Missing files with the program recently installed?

How can I see what files are missing and how do I recover them? (McAfee is just installed!)

After run by second time the MVT, the problems continue there.

El mensaje fue editado por: mcscotty57 on 08/03/10 19:56:12 CST
mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 4 of 37

Missing files explanation: As the MVT it doesn't recognize the Spanish language, it expected that the files are in the folder "Program Files", but they all are in the folder "Archivos de programa". There are not problems in the SecurityCenter. 

The file <mpfsbt.inf> that is reported missing in the Personal Firewall, is really missing.

I uninstall and reinstalled the McAfee and that file is still missing.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 37

When you uninstalled it did you use the MCPR removal tool here?

Did you try to do the playing etc with Mcafee uninstalled?

Re the missing file this an issue with MVT at the moment so we were told today.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 6 of 37

Thank you again for your answer and orientation!

Yes, I uninstalling using MCPR. All folders were eliminated and the Registry was clean.

With VirusScan uninstalling or simply deactivated, all in my machine works fine and good, and I can use videos with my favorite programs.

But that more I worry about it is that in the other two PC (my wife's and my daughter's computers)  where I installed VirusScan, they can work (playing, renaming, moving, deleting) perfectly the videos (with VirusScan installed and active!).

I am not able to discover why I have this problem exactly in the PC that I use.

P.S.: Sorry for my basic English.

El mensaje fue editado por: mcscotty57 on 09/03/10 11:05:16 CST
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 37

I would suggest contacting Chat support via the link in useful links above. I feel there might be installed software that is clashing like did you before installing Mcafee have another Antivirus/firewall installed?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/03/10 2:26:23 PM
mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 8 of 37

I have used McAfee for years and years. Also, this PC I have formated it and reinstalled all from zero few months ago, installing VirusScan 9. Neither I have activated the firewall of Windows!

Well, I will contact Support for this problem.

Thank you again, Peacekeeper!

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 9 of 37

Solved problem! After uninstall one by one all my installed programs, when I uninstall Nero (burning program) I was able to play (and work) the videos without problems with the antivirus.

Searching an explanation of this, I found that NeroScout is an application that indexed all the media files in the PC. I suppose that when NeroScout works with the videos, the mcshield.exe begins to work on all that process, using 99% of CPU for more than a minute.

Disabling NeroScout by the control panel of Nero, don't work.

Now I will look for a solution with the support of Nero. But I wanted you to know about this problem of VirusScan colliding with NeroScout.

Thank you for your support!

El mensaje fue editado por: mcscotty57 on 16/03/10 21:23:28 CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 37

Hey mcscotty57,

Thanks for posting this information! I'll be sure to make my Tier 3 engineers aware of this. I didn't know Nero did that!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community