cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorisV
Contributor II
Message 1 of 10

McAfee regularly failing to detect threats

Hi, I'd like to speak to the product manager on a private message about McAfee regularly missing virus infections. I posted a thread a while ago, it was very detailed, but it got deleted. I would like to discuss McAfee's detection capabilities.

9 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee regularly failing to detect threats

I will ask if he can get someone up with the scanner methods to talk to you. If not I have tried

BorisV
Contributor II
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, I am ready to provide samples, test cases, expertise and analysis... it just needs to be escalated. Once again, thanks a lot.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 10

Sorry he is out of the office till 18 June. have you submitted the files for checking as per the file submission path? If no success I have another path that I can use if that fails.

That path does not usually contact users ever I just am allowed to sometimes forward hard detections to them.

BorisV
Contributor II
Message 5 of 10

I can submit the files, it's not a problem, but this can't keep going. McAfee misses threats every single day (I put to rigorous tests). So far WebAdvisor has always been great in blocking the files, but yesterday both virus scanner and adviser missed a threat. Something needs to be done. The infection was very, very severe and Raptor/RealProtect did not do anything. When I scanned the file on Virustotal, at least 40 engines detected something. There is a severe issue here.

I just want to add that I have a dedicated device for malware and threat hunting. I am not executing in virtual environment.and the executable wasn't even signed. I was just shocked to see it missed... normally in this day and age antiviruses get very suspicious to a never-before-seen, unsigned executable injecting code here and there, and performing various other actions.... McAfee was just quiet.  

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 10

Any that you see missed submitting with subject saying this is a virus or similar should get it added asap. But of course this not what you want to discuss I understand.

Will see if any of my other contacts are still available or can point me to someone.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 10

My other contact is looking for someone who can help

BorisV
Contributor II
Message 8 of 10

Thanks a lot.
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 10

Hello Boris,

I was the one who was replying  you through e-mails. I'll get back to you regarding this.

Regards,
Madhan M

BorisV
Contributor II
Message 10 of 10

The thing is I sent you an infection once, but I’m getting these cases every day.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community