Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reichmaj
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

McAfee "Real Time Scan" Continues to cause problems

Community

I continue to have problems with my version of McAfee cause by the McAfee - Real Time Scan.  This process typically starts once my computer boots up and just runs and runs until I receive a message that there is a problem with my security.  And it isn't an isolated issue. It occurs on all my computers (Lenovo T400, T430 and T520) and several times a week.  I sometime can fix the issue through McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT); but more often than not I have to uninstall MacAfee and then reinstall the software and this occurs monthly.  I have contacted McAfee technical support and they haven't been able to assist me other than to suggest I reinstall the software.

When I have to reinstall the software I

(1) Run MCPR.exe

(2) McPreInstall.exe

(3) Then physically clear out anything McAfee remaining from my registry

(4) then reinstall McAfee (McAfeeSetup.exe)

System:  Lenovo T430, Window 7 x 64 Pro.

McAfee Security Center: v 13.6; McAfee Antivirus and Anti-Spyware, V 17.6; McAfee Personal Firewall, v 14.6; Mcafee Site/Advisor, v 3.7; McAfee Anti-Spam, v 14.6; McAfee Parental Controls, v 15.6; McAfee Vulnerability Scanner, v 3.6;

I have read were CCleaner and or Glary Utilities may affect McAfee causing this problem but those blogs were some time ago and I would thing such issues would have been fixed by now.

18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

Re: McAfee "Real Time Scan" Continues to cause problems

Software like CCleaner and Glary Utilities will always cause issues, if used without a great deal of care and Glary especially has been known to physically clash with the software..  Any registry cleaner can cause damage to any system as they invariably clean more than they say they do.  Believe me, I speak from years of experience.

One thing you ,might want to do is to turn off the scheduled virus scan or at least alter it's settings so it doesn't likely run at the wrong time.  Also avoid storing emails in Inboxes, create sub-folders to store emails, as the software will always scan it again and again at startup.

Other than that all I can suggest is you contact Technical Support by phone or online chat, it's free of charge and linked below:  

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 19

If and when you contact support again have your SR job number available from the last call and request an escalation call back.

reichmaj
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

ok Thanks  - I'll dig into my Ccleaner and Glary to see if there is some sort of setting that will leave MacAfee alone.  This really only became a problem a couple of years ago.  Before that I never had a problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

CCleaner, used wisely, can be useful when, for instance, something doesn't uninstall cleanly, even then I'm reluctant to use it preferring instead the old-fashioned regedit search.   Glary, I would get rid of if I were you.

reichmaj
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

Well then I'll just stick with ccleaner and archive Glary. Uninstall and zip and keep an archived copy in my software library.  Maybe in the future this issue will be addressed by either McAfee or Glary (and or ccleaner).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 19

Just out of curiosity, check Control Panel > Programs and Features and look for McAfee Security Scan Plus, if found uninstall.  It's a free utility that comes with many 3rd party products and is only a sales tool.

reichmaj
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Not presently but I have seen it on my system.  It typically gets removed when ever I reinstall McAfee.  But the info is good to know.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 19

Well it was just a thought.

reichmaj
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Appreciated the comments but  for what ever reason McAfee just won't run on my computer (I most likely need to reset my computer to factor specs).  A couple of weeks ago I simply resorted to running MVT at start up, but it simply seemed to fix the same problem every morning.  So I've moved over to Norton's for now.  No issue.  If and when I reset my hard drive I most likely will return to McAfee as I like its interface better than Norton's.  But at presently Norton's seems to run better than McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community