Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 19

Re: McAfee "Real Time Scan" Continues to cause problems

Probably a combo if something that came with the machine factory installed, and Glary.  But who knows?Good luck 😉
reichmaj
Former Member
Message 12 of 19

Factor install  is Norton's but I never cared for Norton's so I went with McAfee which I have used for years.  But this issue with the "Real Time Scanning" has been ongoing for several months and I'm tired of working with McAfee who ends up having me reinstall McAfee anyway. Given I have the same issue with two other Lenovo's I'm more inclined to say the issue is with McAfee. Glary no longer an issue as I have uninstalled it from two of the three computers where it was installed.

Peacekeeper
Message 13 of 19

Could be a clash with lenovo's installed programs as it is stable on my 3 Pcs. good luck with things when you reset your drive.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 19

You specifically keep referring to your 'Lenova' Machines? Do you by chance possibly have the 'Superfish" application installed?  Try running the latest 'MRT' from Microsoft, also the latest McAfee Stinger should detect it also.

More info here:

Lenovo vows to stop shipping PCs with third-party bloatware after Superfish fiasco | InfoWorld

All the Best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 19

cA

reichmaj wrote:

Factor install  is Norton's

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool before trying McAfee?

Uninstall your Norton product using Norton Removal Tool

reichmaj
Former Member
Message 16 of 19

My Lenovo T400 ~ 3 years old, my Lenovo T520 ~ 2 years and my Lenovo T430 ~ a year old all ran  MacAfee fine until ~ 6-7 months ago.  Now I was using both Glary (which seems to conflict or cause problems)  and CCleaner and did read were these software packages might cause problems. Given Ex_Brits comments I have uninstalled Glary from my T430 and T520 computers (neither were on the T400). Yet the MacAfee issue is occurring on all three computers and given my older (backup) 400 hasn't had Glary nor CCleaner installed it's something other (one would assume) than Glary and or CCleaner, although they still might be the culprit.

Norton Removal Tool - no, didn't need to (atleast I don't think so) as the factor settings only load the *.exe giving the user the option of installing Norton's.  I generally remove all third party software too.

'Superfish" application  - not sure what that is I'll have to look into that.

latest McAfee Stinger  - as for McAfee presently, given I have access to both McAfee and Norton's  I'm going too go with Norton's for the time being. It's running fine and like I previously mentioned, at some time I will reset my 430 back to factory specs and reinstall everything to include McAfee which I prefer.  McAfee tech support has looked at this computer (T430) three times and at the end of each session their answer was a new install.  That gets old reinstalling the software every week and or running MVT every day to fix what was fixed the day before.  Although I prefer MacAfee I will say that its performance in the last couple of years has waned a bit.  But then I suspect too software and virus' have become even more complicated to work with.

MCAfee Stinger - Just downloaded and did a run - didn't find anything.  Thanks for the tip though.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 19

You are quite welcome. At least we know that you do not have the Adware on your machines .

Good Luck

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 19

Re: Re: McAfee "Real Time Scan" Continues to cause problems

reichmaj wrote:

My Lenovo T400 ~ 3 years old, my Lenovo T520 ~ 2 years and my Lenovo T430 ~ a year old all ran  MacAfee fine until ~ 6-7 months ago.  Now I was using both Glary (which seems to conflict or cause problems)  and CCleaner and did read were these software packages might cause problems. Given Ex_Brits comments I have uninstalled Glary from my T430 and T520 computers (neither were on the T400). Yet the MacAfee issue is occurring on all three computers and given my older (backup) 400 hasn't had Glary nor CCleaner installed it's something other (one would assume) than Glary and or CCleaner, although they still might be the culprit.

Comments for the next time you try McAfee:

Perhaps there is Lenovo bloatware that needs to be removed?  I do NOT recommend using any form of registry cleaner, spells disaster every time.

Norton Removal Tool - no, didn't need to (atleast I don't think so) as the factor settings only load the *.exe giving the user the option of installing Norton's.  I generally remove all third party software too.

Then next time try it, that's one single reason right there why McAfee might refuse to install or to work properly.

'Superfish" application  - not sure what that is I'll have to look into that.

Run AdwareCleaner and Malwarebytes Free, last link below.  Note the instructions on how to keep the latter free of charge.

Also make sure your system is always up to date, including bits you may never use such as Internet Explorer.

In any case you've gone over to the dark side for now so it's irrelevant, but food for thought if and when you try again.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 19

Moved to VirusScan for filing reasons.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community