cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gran
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

McAfee must auto delete the suspect virus or programe without any choice by user?

I don't like this function, Can I set McAfee to warn me and let me decide to delete it or not? Sometime Mcafee deletes my programe that is really not virus and Delete is delete without help.

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee must auto delete the suspect virus or programe without any choice by user?

It's a feature that we have been begging them to reintroduce for several years now.  At the moment the only time this is possible is if it is labelled as a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program).

See this post for some hints on what to do: http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

gran
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Re: McAfee must auto delete the suspect virus or programe without any choice by user?

I think that is the fatal advantage and disadvantage for them both. Even they deleted the file, they should let user to recover it by manuel for some fail alarm. No user will be happy to use this software which is out of control.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

I guess the developers decided to err or the side of caution. 

gran
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Does the developer notice what customers said?  I hope they will do that, otherwise, not as many as user will use their products. How can users buy a programe out of their control.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

I wonder about that sometimes.

lillith
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I don't really like the fact that I actually payed for this antivirus. I've been using the older versions for years and it has been all so good. But now with this way of treating the files I don't think I will make that mistake again. If they don't fix it soon, I will have to stop using this software. I want to be able to determine whether the file is virus or not by my self. I don't want to be forced to send files over the internet to let somebody analyse them for me. Oh...even after restoring the deleted (quarantined) file once the real-time scanning is back ON, the file is gone again. Please DO FIX that issue.

Message was edited by: lillith on 4/22/10 7:29:29 AM CDT

Message was edited by: lillith on 4/22/10 7:33:27 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

The submission process has always existed and all anti-virus makers have a similar process for wrong detections.

See my thread here for hints:  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

lillith
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

I've read this post, indeed thats why I wrote that I don't want to be forced to send my files for analysis. I've always had the opportunity to choose to whether delete or to put a file under quarantine, or just trust it and go on with my work. Anyway, thank you for at least giving us a solution, it might not be very user-friendly, but yet it is kind of a solution...

Thank you

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

In the home products it is only possible to tell it to ignore something if it has been detected as a PUP (possibly unwanted program), that has been the case ever since VirusScan 8 some years ago.

It's still possible in the business/Enterprise products and we have begged for it to be reintroduced into the home products to no avail I'm afraid.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community