Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kicker
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

McAfee freezes when attempting to scan large zip file

Hello

I have run into a problem with both McAfee Virus Scan Plus 2009 and McAfee Comcast version.

First some back ground.

I have a main drive that I use to install applications on, then I have a secondary internal drive that I use for file storage, and then a external hard drive that I use as a back up of all of the secondary drive and some of the main drive.

When I run a full system scan McAfee freezes when it gets to a zipped file on the secondary drive that is a little larger then 1 gig in size. If I tell McAfee to skip it, it will go on scanning until it runs into the copy of that file on the external back up hard drive and it freezes again and I again have to tell McAfee to skip the file.

When I tell McAfee to scan just that specific file, the progress bar stays at 0% and the program just sits there.

I have run other Anti Virus Software on the same pc and they have no problem scanning this file.

The file for reference is a official digital download from Sony of the game Ever Quest.

I spoke to McAfee online assistance and first I was told that the McAfee scanner was freezing up because the file was malicious in nature. I explained to them that McAfee was not scanning the file at all, and also that the file had been scanned by other Anti Virus software and was not reported as malicious. Then I was told that McAfee just doesnt scan zipped files that are 1 gig in size or larger.

The last answer seems ridiculous to me.

I was hoping by coming here I could find a better answer.
6 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

RE: McAfee freezes when attempting to scan large zip file

Hi,

Is McAfee Virus Scan getting stuck on that particular file or not responding while try to scan it.

Have you ever completed a full scan on this computer, at least a quick scan?

You can also try with this link http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php in order to scan your computer and make sure that there are no other malware infections.
Kicker
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes its getting stuck on that particular file. It just sits there, it doesnt freeze up the whole program but it stops scanning till I tell it to skip the file.

I have completed full scans. I transferred the file to a CD and deleted it off my hard drives. After removing the file McAfee ran normal. I scan my pc now a average of twice a day.

I have also ran that particular anit malware program with the file that McAfee freezes up on on my PC and it showed no infections on my PC.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Alright so it’s clear that this file is not an infected one. However, have you tried to leave the computer and see whether it’s able to complete the scanning at least after a while (hour or two)

Because it make take a long time to complete that particular file since its above 1GB of size also
Kicker
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

The first time I had this problem was after I had put the file on the pc and I had run McAfee over night for over 8 hours while I slept. When I awoke the program was stuck on the file. With out the file on my PC it takes McAfee around 45 mins or so to perform a complete scan of my system, including my secondary hard drive and my external back up hard drive.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

McAfee gets stuck as there are too many application related files inside that, moreover it’s in a compressed file format. So why don’t we extract them back and try a full scan?

But as we are sure that the issue is only with this particular file, why don’t you have them moved to a different location/ external drive permanently where the McAfee will not scan it again?
Kicker
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

That is making McAfees problem my problem. It is a quick fix that is a inconvenience to me, and ignores a obvious problem with the McAfee software.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community