cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcjackers
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

McAfee freezes during full scan

When trying to run a full scan McAfee freezes at the same point ( C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\MOVIEMK.dll ) everytime.  I have run chkdsk/r which found no errors, but when running a full scan after that, McAfee froze at the exact same point.  I went to the control panel to uninstall Movie Maker but could not find it listed!  I have never used Movie Maker, so why should it now create problems?  BTW I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks in advance for any help!

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee freezes during full scan

Possible that that file is corrupted can you copy the same file from another PC?

First movie maker is a windows program and is considered a system file so no uninstall via add/remove programs or the vista equivalent. That said maybe you can

download and reinstall the windows movie maker rather than repairing the Movie maker.

Really how to do this is for a microsoft forum.

Another alternative is to run a system scan using the system file check utility. The following command will verify and repair(if necessary) any corrupted system modules. This includes   all of the modules found in  C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOVIE MAKER.

1.) Type start.

2.)Type cmd in the search area; cmd.exe will appear at the top.

3.)Left click it then select run as administrator.

4.)Type SFC SCANNOW at the command prompt.

5.)Let it run to completion.

How to analyze the Cbs.log that is produced

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

This getting beyond this old guy so why not just exclude the file from custom and scheduled scans. You can do this in version 11 of security centre.ie thw 2011 version. Unfortunately full scan cannot exclude files.

sjgdoggie
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Peacekeeper, I too get total freeze up during full scans.  Quick scans are okay.  I tried Microsoft Defender with same result.  Complete freeze at C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\CyberLink\Power DVD9\PowerDVD Cinema\Koan\Python24.dll

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 5

Now that file and folder should be uninstallable have you tried that and reinstalling it?

I assume you also checked the disk health via chkdsk /r?

lgshultz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

The scan would freeze one of the ieframe.dll files in one of the ieframe subfolders in the windows\winsxs folder.  After reading the events file, I found that I had a bad block.  I ran the chkdsk command with '/f /r'.  I had to reboot.  It took about 45 minutes for it to complete.  It found the bad block and moved the file.  It now takes about 10 -15 minutes to run a full scan.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community