cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flash53
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

McAfee causing a "problem" opening Word documents - not solved

In an earlier thread "McAfee causing a "problem" opening Word documents", a solution was posted saying that the problem had been fixed in a software update.  The poster recommended that a new thread be started if this was not the case.  Although my McAfee product is fully up to date I am still getting the issue.  

The original poster described the issue as follows which is the same for me:

For the past few months, whenever I open a Word document, I get the pop-up "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open."  If I select "ok", the document opens.  I read on the internet that anti-virus real time scanning can cause this and sure enough, when I turn off McAfee real time scanning, Word documents open without the pop-up.  Does anyone have any ideas?

My environment is Windows 10, Microsoft Word 2007, McAfee Internet security 16.0 R18.

I would be grateful if Sanjay (who posted the solution) or someone else could help me with this.

5 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee causing a "problem" opening Word documents - not solved

@Flash53 

Please let us know whether the issue persists after reinstalling McAfee.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
etkins
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I have reinstalled three times, and each time, when I uninstall, the problem goes away.  Reinstall, the problem returns.  VERY frustrating, please help!

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 6

As you said RTS seems to be the issue try and this cannot be a full solution try excluding the word file as exclusion works for RTS but not for scheduled scans , Will be a pain but I am interested if that works.

Alternatively exclude the word exe file though that probably is a real long shot.

Only a suggestion till Siva returns

anim8-1
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

It's 2022 - when will Silva return? I still have this annoyance even with RTS turned OFF
anim8-1
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

update

This was "solved" by suggesting you/we stop using MS Word 2007 and buy a newer version that works with Windows 10. see https://www.mcafee.com/support/?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102841&page=shell&shell=article-view

I get the same error opening existing MS Word 2007 documents (not new ones). I think I'll l live with the annoyance of choosing "ok" rather than the $80 per year for personal office.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community