cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
truelies
Former Member
Message 31 of 40

Re: McAfee Update slows down startup of internet connection - Advice needed please

No. It didn't cure the problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 40

Re: McAfee Update slows down startup of internet connection - Advice needed please

Then turn off automatic updates.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Dismiss any message that may be showing and click Updates > Settings and change it to only notify you when updates are available.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/06/12 4:52:04 EDT PM
marrelli
Former Member
Message 33 of 40

I found out how to disable Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.030319_X86.

Years ago I installed MS Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition that use the .Net Framework.

Do you know if I do the Disable whether if it will affect when I use Visual Basic or programs written in Visual Basic?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 40

No, sorry.  That question is best asked of a Windows forum.

marrelli
Former Member
Message 35 of 40

Sorry Brit. My question was directed more towards mikehod who found that solution.

I disabled "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.030319_X86" per mikehod's post above and rebooted my machine. My internet was connected quickly this time.

So, mikehod's post worked for me at least for my last reboot.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 40

Ah OK, I'll leave you to it then 😉

marrelli
Former Member
Message 37 of 40

Update. My internet access was back to slow on being enabled this morning. So, it seems the .Net Framework fix didn't work for me after all.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 40

In the firewall settings there is an option to Block Internet Access At Startup.  This setting is selected in my firewall, and I'm wondering if product updates for Security Center or VirusScan automatically turn this on. You could try turning it off and see if it makes a difference.

The startup process is quite a busy time. Using Process Explorer (autostarting from the Startup menu) I see a whole sequence of Windows and McAfee processes appearing and disappearing in the first few minutes. If you look in the Event Logs for messages generated during that time, you might see the sequence that I see : mcshield starts up (Process Explorer signals this by flashing up the mcods process) and grabs a lot of system resources while it checks the initial state of the system. Then it calls mcupdate to download a new DAT if one is available. After that, mcshield shuts down and then restarts. This process can take several minutes.

Possibly this whole period is regarded by McAfee as the "startup period" during which internet access remains blocked?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 39 of 40

On my installations that's always unchecked by default.   That's curious.

truelies
Former Member
Message 40 of 40

In the firewall settings there is an option to Block Internet Access At Startup

Where is this setting? Seems this problem caused by some Mcafee services slow down startup?

Message was edited by: truelies on 7/27/12 9:14:35 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community