cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nvis
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Update slows down startup of internet connection - Advice needed please

I bought and installed Total Protection 2013 on my PC and laptop and suddenly every morning when I start them up I have to wait ~8minutes before it lets me use the Internet Explorer.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything, then uninstalled, and custom installed everything except non-essentials(Online backup, filelock, parental controls) and still doesn't work.

I played with the firewall and automatic updates and did the above mentioned steps and still NOTHING.

Both me and my Dad are frustrated and think this is our last McAfee purchase. We were very happy these ~5 years of subscriptions and now think of looking elsewhere.

We had no issues with Total Protection 2012 or before until this new version.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Update slows down startup of internet connection - Advice needed please

Rather than rehash an old thread where the conditions have probably changed drastically over the months/years I've moved you to your own thread.

If you upgraded to a newer version the problem may be that the old software needed to be totally removed first.

Try uninstalling via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Also make sure that your operating system is totally up to date and for McAfee purposes that Internet Explorer is up to date and at default settings but it doesn't have to be your default browser.  

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Re: McAfee Update slows down startup of internet connection - Advice needed please

I meant to add, if the above doesn't help then contact Technical Support direct as it's free by phone or online chat and they can troubleshoot it much easier than I.  They are linked under Useful Links also.

nvis
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

They weren't any help at all.

Time to switch to a competitor.....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

A complete uninstall/cleanup/reinstall didn't help?

That's too bad, good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community