cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baltbullet1
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

McAfee Deleting Driver?

I have Internet Security v13.6.953 SC installed as of today. After installing I found a critical driver update for my Titanium HD sound card on the Creative Support site so I downloaded and installed then rebooted the computer. After startup, I found missing entries for related programs and the registry was corrupt relating to Creative. At this point I disabled antivirus and ran the setup again and it worked flawlessly with no missing entries and registry relating to the Creative drivers were fine. I think I'll start disabling the antivirus before any driver updates in the future. Not sure if this is normal but never had a problem before when installing drivers.

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee Deleting Driver?

baltbullet1 wrote:

I have Internet Security v13.6.953 SC installed as of today. After installing I found a critical driver update for my Titanium HD sound card on the Creative Support site so I downloaded and installed then rebooted the computer. After startup, I found missing entries for related programs and the registry was corrupt relating to Creative. At this point I disabled antivirus and ran the setup again and it worked flawlessly with no missing entries and registry relating to the Creative drivers were fine. I think I'll start disabling the antivirus before any driver updates in the future. Not sure if this is normal but never had a problem before when installing drivers.

That certainly isn't normal. This may help:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/06/14 8:34:16 EDT PM
baltbullet1
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Please move thread to proper area.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/06/14 8:34:37 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Gave you your own thread in VirusScan as I think it's that which is deleting the drive.

baltbullet1
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I went back to the computer with the issue and looked in the quarantined section and found nothing then i scanned the file and McAfee didn't find any issues with the driver. Very strange that the installation would crash to the taskbar. Creative driver updates usually uninstall previous versions then continues to install the new update. Not sure if the issue was McAfee but when I disabled antivirus installation went off flawlessly. I could have been something in the registry as well but again not sure but it seems the issue is fine for now.

Thanks Brit!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

I usually find, especially nowadays with all the various safeguards in place, it's often best to save the installer to one's desktop first and then run it from there.   Anyway it looks like it worked out for you, so good luck 😉

baltbullet1
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Sometimes when driver installers also are compatible for newer OS like Win8.1X64, I've found over the years that strange hiccups like the installer crashing to the taskbar never prompting to reboot will happen even though system req. include Win7X64 are included in the package. It wouldn't be the first time Creative dropped the ball.

I always run the installer from the desktop or inside of a folder on the desktop to prevent issues in the registry.

You live and learn every day and still screw-up  

Join us in TeamSpeak 3 for golf and fun

Server Add: 70.32.46.162:2413

Take Care Mate

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community