cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acegrep
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Causing BSOD when launching Acronis True Image Home 2009

I first noticed this problem on 7/3/2011.  When I launch Acronis True Image Home 2009 I get a BSOD. Has anyone else seen this issue?

I have looked at the minidumps in WinDbg, says the crashes are caused by mfehidk.sys

This is the information provided by Windows 7 Action Center, Problem Details.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    1033

Extra information about the problem

BCCode:    1000008e

BCP1:    C0000005

BCP2:    8CB92492

BCP3:    A638137C

BCP4:    00000000

OS Version:    6_1_7601

Service Pack:    1_0

Product:    768_1

Bucket ID:    0x8E_mfehidk+42d63

Server information:    a357b6aa-0d08-4a68-81d0-c8843847543e

4 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Causing BSOD when launching Acronis True Image Home 2009

McAfee may not necessarily be to blame. Taken from this ComputerWorld article :

Wrong driver named

Often you will see an antivirus driver named as the cause. For instance, after using !analyze -v, the debugger reports a driver for your antivirus program at the line "IMAGE_NAME". This may well be the case, but bear in mind that such a driver can be named more often than it is guilty. Here's why: For antivirus code to work it must watch all file openings and closings. To accomplish this, the code sits at a low layer in the operating system and is constantly working. In fact, it is so busy it will often be on the stack of function calls that was active when the crash occurred, even if it did not cause it. Because any third-party driver on that stack immediately becomes suspect, it will often get named. From a mathematical standpoint it is easy to see how it will so often be on the stack whether it actually caused a problem or not.

It is as likely to be the application that's at fault. The 2009 version had a known problem which was apparently fixed in the 2010 upgrade. Have you asked about this on their forum?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Acronis True Image 2009 was not compatible with Windows 7 anyway.  7 support didn't start until 2010 and later.

acegrep
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the info. I will upgrade Acronis to the current version.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

OK, good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community