Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vladguan
Former Member
Message 1 of 32

McAfee Anti Virus cannot download updates

Hi All,

Last night, just after login into my laptop running Win 7 HP 64 and was checking my gmail when McAfee AV popped up saying it cannot check for updates. MS Action Center also had a red cross. Upon checking the Action Center, it is asking me to allow the McAfee agent and updater permissions to run. I granted both of them permissions, however, now when I try to force an update, it successfully checks for the update but 5 seconds into the downloading of the updates, if reports that it could not get updates. The Action Center also popped up saying I now do not have protection. The McAfee window's green banner also became red and there was a red cross on its System Tray icon.

I uninstalled the AV, rebooted and installed a fresh copy. The installer had no problems downloading the latest software and updates during the installation process. After it was installed, I tried another forced update with the same result, however, this time, the Action Center did not report anything and the McAfee banner remained green and no red cross on its System Tray icon as well.

Anyone know what is going on? Also, I was successful in performing an update on my wife's laptop running the same version of OS and McAfee AV.

TIA,

Vlad

31 Replies
lakshmanans
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 32

Re: McAfee Anti Virus cannot download updates

Hi Vladguan,

Could you pls tell us about the McAfee product details.

Check weather you can browse the McAfee site successfully.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 32

Also when you uninstalled did you use this method?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall mcafee.

This is of course if issue still present the next day in case the server was down.

You could try a manual update via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101109

Ok do not use the superdat use the 6752xdat.exe.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/07/12 7:29:34 PM
vladguan
Former Member
Message 4 of 32

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies. I ran all the checkers Peacekeeper mentioned. None of them picked up anything. I also ran the latest update (6762xdat.exe) without issue. I recently upgraded her laptop from Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 HP 64bit. I do not remember if I uninstalled McAfee AV first or not. I then installed a fresh copy of McAfee AV without issues. Her laptop is a Dell which came with the McAfee subscription and I purchased another one when I bought my laptop.

I just logged into our account and it is showing two lots of her laptop followed by one of mine. All three have the orange exclamation mark and above that says I've used up all available licences for McAfee Security Center via Dell.

Also, on the Products and Subscriptions tab, it says 3 in use, 1 over limit. This must be the reason I cannot do an update. How do I remove the duplicate of hers? Both show the same computer name as I did not bother with a new name with Windows 7. Is it as easy as renaming her computer and then deactivating the one with the old name?

Kind Regards,

Vlad

karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 32

Hi vladguan,

We cannot remove the machine names that was already added but instead of that we can deactivate the machines that was not in use. If you want to deactivate the Machine please  login to your McAfee account  and open the PC drawer, there you have an option to deactivate the unused machines. Yes, you can rename the Windows 7 computer name but please do it before deactivating the unused machines.

Update and verify the McAfee subscription after renaming the Windows 7 Machine. If you have trouble or doubts in renaming or Deactivating the unused machines I recommend you to call McAfee Free Technical support in the Phone number 1-866-622-3911.

vladguan
Former Member
Message 6 of 32

Hi All,

Still no go. I've deactivated the old laptop entry. Uninstalled and reinstalled following the guide from McAfee. What I noticed was that it is now doing the download bit longer (30 seconds) before stating an update error.

I am trying to perform a restore to a recovery point made 12 days ago. Upon checking programs that will be affected, I noticed it said the following program and drivers will be deleted:

McAfee, Inc. (NetService) 07/01/2009 14.2.0.611 Driver

There is no mention of the actual McAfee AV install in either the will be deleted section or the will be reinstalled section.

Does anyone know what the McAfee NetService driver is?

Cheers,

Vlad

EDIT:

After chatting with tier1 support and reinstalling several times, still no go. I then just had a look at mcagent's log as I mentioned before that this issue happened when both mcagent.exe and mcupdate.exe required permissions to run from Windows Action Center. Anyhow there are lots of the same errors in mcagent's log file as follows:

07/07/2012 12:32:03 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ InternetCrackUrl failed for (misp://mscjsres.dll::msc.html/) - 12005

There were also errors in the mcafeesetup log as follows:

07/06/2012 11:14:03 PM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup.exe]$ FindResource() failed. Error code: 1814

07/06/2012 11:14:03 PM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup.exe]$ The module C:\Users\VBEDNI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\McInstallTemp\SelfProtect\Win32\APNWL.cab is not digitally signed.

07/06/2012 11:14:03 PM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup.exe]$ FindResource() failed. Error code: 1814

07/06/2012 11:14:03 PM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup.exe]$ The module C:\Users\VBEDNI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\McInstallTemp\SelfProtect\Win64\AP64NWL.cab is not digitally signed.

I've also attached the installer logs. There are quite a few errors in there.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Regards,

vlad

Message was edited by: vladguan on 6/07/12 11:17:32 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 32

karthiks, this customer is in Australia.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 8 of 32

Hi,

Please call McAfee Free Technical support to get phone assistance for the above issue, click on the below link and get the contact number for your country to call McAfee support

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101274&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777216&turl...

tyomni
Former Member
Message 9 of 32

Is that possible that some malware or thread disables updates for some antiviruses?

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 32

That can happen try going to the Mcafee site or another AV site and see if they are blocked. Also check your hosts file in Windows/system32/drivers/etc to see it has no web addresses inserted into it.

The OP should Call support as karthiks suggested

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community