cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaitly
Former Member
Message 21 of 32

Re: McAfee Anti Virus cannot download updates

Ex_Brit : .... "that the header should really read can't install updates, not can't download updates, right?".....

Me:
Negative!
Please re-read OP's comments/posts.
The Security Centre won't download no updates, let alone the installation bit. It would just keep on saying "Downloading Updates - 0%" and no progress for hours and hours. Instead manually downloading DATs, SuperDATs and engines, etc. from McAfee Security Updates and installing them works fine.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 32

jaitly wrote:

Ex_Brit : .... "that the header should really read can't install updates, not can't download updates, right?".....

Me:
Negative!
The Security Centre won't download no updates, let alone the installation bit. It would just keep on saying "Downloading Updates - 0%" and no progress for hours and hours. Instead manually downloading DATs, SuperDATs and engines, etc. from McAfee Security Updates and installing them works fine.

With all due respect I'd rather vladguan answer that.

If you are having problems you really should be starting a new thread of your own.

BTW the method of downloading xdat's and sdats from the download centre will soon become a thing of the past, if it hasn't already as the Consumer software can't be updated by that method any more, see the note here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

With MSC 12.x that can't be done any more.

jaitly
Former Member
Message 23 of 32

Ex_Brit wrote:

jaitly wrote:

Me:
Negative!

With all due respect I'd rather vladguan answer that.

If you are having problems you really should be starting a new thread of your own.

BTW the method of downloading xdat's and sdats from the download centre will soon become a thing of the past, if it hasn't already as the Consumer software can't be updated by that method any more, see the note here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

With MSC 12.x that can't be done any more.

OMG ! Yes !

Apologies for hijacking the thread. My bad.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 32

No problem.  All the best 😉

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 32

You all appear to have version 11.6 correct. If your install is in english you can get 12.1 from a new install using either teh Au/Us/Uk or Ca servers so might be a good idea to fully uninstall reinstall via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

Maybe give it a go?

vladguan
Former Member
Message 26 of 32

Hi All,

Thanks for the various help. Just to clarify. The initial problem was that it fails to download updates. This went on for several months. Then after numerous uninstalls/reinstalls, registry cleans, it now downloads the updates successfully (I can see it in the appropriate McAfee folder). However, it fails to install it. I have been told to use the manual download of the dats unitl the issue is resolved. However, I will instead upgrade the OS and reinstall.

Cheers All,

Merry XMas.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 32

OK good luck 😉

vladguan
Former Member
Message 28 of 32

Installed win 8 pro and McAfee AV and no issues updating thus far. Will report back in a few days.

Btw, anyone know how to remove an entry for an old computer in McAfee my accounts? Is is greyed out but would like to remove it completely from list of computers. Cheers.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 32

If it's greyed out I wouldn't worry too much but the only people that could help are Customer Service.

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 32

We have been told they disappear after 90 days. Though I have my doubts.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community