Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vladguan
Former Member
Message 11 of 32

Re: McAfee Anti Virus cannot download updates

Hi,

The issue is now with tier 2 tech support. However, to answer a few questions, I have looked at the FAQ page on update problems and ran all the suggested McAfee and thirdparty and nothing came up. Windows Updates still work and I can access McAfee to download the latest dat files without issue and also am able to install them without issue. The hosts file is also empty.

jaitly
Former Member
Message 12 of 32

Hi OP

Please at least post the solution should you have got one!

Many thanks.

regards

vladguan
Former Member
Message 13 of 32

There is no solution. At least not for me. I plan to upgrade win 8 and reinstall mav. Hopefully it will be good then.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 32

vladguan wrote:

There is no solution. At least not for me. I plan to upgrade win 8 and reinstall mav. Hopefully it will be good then.

If you are upgrading to Win 8 make sure to uninstall McA first and run the cleanup tool and reboot before going ahead with the upgrade.

In this case I would say any update issues are best dealt with directly by Technical Support, linked through Useful Links at the top of this page. 

It's free by phone or online chat and available 24/7 in your area.  Due to the holidays most of our McA contacts are off for a whole week or more so unlikely we can grab anyone's attention.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/12/12 9:50:05 EST AM
vladguan
Former Member
Message 15 of 32

I have had tier one support on the case from the beginning to no avail.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 32

The only reasons I can think of that would stop updates, which by the way only occur around once daily, are a) you are behind a proxy firewall such as in a University or at a company for instance, b) you have a connection that is not always on, c) there is competing software present that is preventing it, and d) you have some kind of malware that is preventing any updates from occurring.

If support has been on this case, hadn't you'd better wit until you've upgraded to Windows 8 and then reopen the case and ask for escalation?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/12/12 9:00:50 EST PM
vladguan
Former Member
Message 17 of 32

Hi,

1. No firewall or proxy.

2. Home laptop.

3. Very stable ADSL. It downloads the updates but cannot auto install. I can also manually download the updates and manually install without issues.

4. No other AV installed.

5. Have used every reputable malware checker and all came up blank.

Anyway, could admins please close this thread and mark unresolved. I will open a new one if I am still having issues after a clean Win 8 install.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 32

No way to mark as unresolved can mark as assumed answered but that is not what it is so I prefer you posting here when you update. Peter your thoughts?

Also can you post your SR job number(s) please that support gave you?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 32

It can remain unanswered as shown in post #1 but we'll close it if you want.  Tony & I can also pass on your SR numbers to our contact and ask them to investigate should it continue in 8..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/12/12 7:19:13 EST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 32

I just moved this to the VirusScan sub-section for clarity but it dawned on me that the header should really read can't install updates, not can't download updates, right?   Also, as many updates aren't necessarily for VirusScan, does this apply to updates generally?   if so then I will move it again but this time to SecurityCenter.

Also could you post a screenshot/snip of what it says for VirusScan in 'About' in SecurityCenter please?

You did say early on that you couldn't remember if you uninstalled McAfee when previously updating a system from one OS to another.  Please always uninstall McAfee before attempting upgrades as I have a feeling something has become locked in place here which may involve the rather lengthy registry removal method of cleaning McAfee up before another installation.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/12/12 8:54:03 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community