cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 41 of 63

Re: McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

BMann wrote:

Why it wasn't affecting everyone, and why some were recovering faster than others.  We've implemented some changes now that will not allow the files to be cached and that should be picked up globally in the next 24 hours.

Hi, Brian:

Fair enough.

But there's something still peculiar and not quite right about all this.

The first time I updated this afternoon after you posted, I **still** got taken back to 5865 from 5866.

AND -- for the first time since all of this started nearly 2 weeks ago, and EVER, really -- I got a "red X"/"system not protected" error as soon as I did so.

I had to "fix" the problems to get back to "I am protected".

This was the first time this had happened.

I then updated AGAIN and got to 5867.

There was no error message after that second update.

That's where I am now.

Updater is set only to "notify" me for the time being.

I will probably do as you suggest and go out and manually check that cab file before downloading/installing any more updates for the time being.

But I REALLY am at my wit's end.

Sure, it could be worse -- I could be dealing with a BSOD or some such.

But this has been nearly as time-consuming and frustrating, especially since it has dragged on for so long.

Thanks,

MM

BMann
Former Member
Message 42 of 63

Re: McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

Was in some meetings so not online here.  Let's see if I can catch up:

Post 36. Dangit, wish I would have been online when you posted that, would have asked you to run a couple of quick commands.  I see from Post 38 you're up to 5867 now.  If anyone see's rollback occur again I'd like to see if we can capture the download server you are going to.  To do this (again, only if you see rollback):

1.  Click on Start

2.  Click on Run

3.  Enter "CMD" (without the quotes) in to the Open field

4.  Click OK

5.  You should now have a new window that pops up.

6.  In that Window type in the following (again with no quotes):  Ping download.mcafee.com

7.  Hit enter

8.  You should see something like - Pinging a1336.g.akamai.net [204.2.136.24] with 32 bytes of data:

9.  Post that data here

You can close that window when done with the above.

Post 37 - I am with McAfee but part of the Research organization, not part of support so I don't have systems in place that I can do sharing with unfortunately.

Post 38 - Okay the hiccup in between mentioned in Post 36 is what's bothering me.  From what I can see from some of our backend data, though is that 5867 updates are happening a lot right now.  Have folks monitoring some of these systems to see if we can catch any weirdness.

Post 39 - The reason for the slowdown and the time it takes, especially on dial-up, is because when the DAT files rollback (newer DAT to older DAT) it is pulling an entire DAT package which is ~60MB in size.  When it is doing it's daily normal updates (older DAT to newer DAT) it is using incremental update technology which means ~200kb in size.  So a massive difference in size between the two which is of course a much bigger impact on dialup than other internet connections.

Post 40 - Thanks for letting us know about the success!

Post 41 - That's the one I'm concerned about.  If we get this again follow the steps I put in above.

Pushing Post Message now before anyone else posts

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 43 of 63

jerome.lichne wrote:

Hello,

here in France, 10.45 pm, my 2 computers ran automatical updates to Dat 5867 without any trouble.

I hope it will be the same for all my partners of these long days... I hope also that support technicians change their answers!

And I hope we have no more such problems.

Regards,

5867 here too.  It never reversed to 5865 for me either.

FrustratedInc:  if you initiated an update that's it, it will continue trying until it succeeds.  I suggest you let it run.   There is no way of telling from the downloader which version is coming in.

The only possibility I can think of in order to stop it would be to look in Scheduled Tasks and see if there is anything there.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 44 of 63

BMann wrote:

Was in some meetings so not online here.  Let's see if I can catch up:

Post 36. Dangit, wish I would have been online when you posted that, would have asked you to run a couple of quick commands.  I see from Post 38 you're up to 5867 now.  If anyone see's rollback occur again I'd like to see if we can capture the download server you are going to.  To do this (again, only if you see rollback):

1.  Click on Start

2.  Click on Run

3.  Enter "CMD" (without the quotes) in to the Open field

4.  Click OK

5.  You should now have a new window that pops up.

6.  In that Window type in the following (again with no quotes):  Ping download.mcafee.com

7.  Hit enter

8.  You should see something like - Pinging a1336.g.akamai.net [204.2.136.24] with 32 bytes of data:

9.  Post that data here

You can close that window when done with the above.

Hi:

OK, I know how to ping a server. I can do that.

But EXACTLY when would we do it?

The only way we would know if we had been rolled back would be to check our DAT file version after an update.

How soon thereafter would be have to do it?

And can one screencapture from the command line window? (I use Snagit for my screenshots normally, but can we "print screen" from that view?)

Post 37 - I am with McAfee but part of the Research organization, not part of support so I don't have systems in place that I can do sharing with unfortunately.

Bummer. It would sure make it easier.  I should buy stock in Citrix.  Remote assist is a life saver!

Post 38 - Okay the hiccup in between mentioned in Post 36 is what's bothering me.  From what I can see from some of our backend data, though is that 5867 updates are happening a lot right now.  Have folks monitoring some of these systems to see if we can catch any weirdness.

Post 39 - The reason for the slowdown and the time it takes, especially on dial-up, is because when the DAT files rollback (newer DAT to older DAT) it is pulling an entire DAT package which is ~60MB in size.  When it is doing it's daily normal updates (older DAT to newer DAT) it is using incremental update technology which means ~200kb in size.  So a massive difference in size between the two which is of course a much bigger impact on dialup than other internet connections.

Post 40 - Thanks for letting us know about the success!

Don't hold your breath.

Post 41 - That's the one I'm concerned about.  If we get this again follow the steps I put in above.

Pushing Post Message now before anyone else posts

MM

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 45 of 63

Brian:

FWIW Here's my server ping (attached).

It was taken just a moment ago, ~ 1 hour after an eventually "successful" manual update from 5866 to 5865 to "not protected" to 5867.

MM

Ron65
Former Member
Message 46 of 63

Brian,

For what it's worth my two computers are working fine yesterday and today. I had to manually update this one yesterday but it just now updated to 5867 which is a little later than usual but yesterday I did the manual and it updated to 5866. When I turned my other computer which I only use in the mornings on this morning, it went right out and updated to 5866. I was a little concerned about why this one didn't update earlier, but there have been times in the past that there was a new data file ready and it never updated until I turned it on the next day. Since this is the one that I do all of my work and simulation of problems on, I use it 90% of the time. The other one which is faster and has a 1 TET hard drive with a lot of memory and is more for morning use when I need to send or receive pictures or big PDF files to go through then it is idle the rest of the day unless I need to turn it back on to send something. Any way I have been reading all of the posts as I subcribed to the threads and I am having none of the issues now that ther others seem to have. I have most likely just jinxed myself by saying that, but I thought that you might like to hear some good news for a change. I have my finger crossed that the issue is fully resolved and the upcoming weekend won't start anything again like the past two have. Thanks to you and also Peter for all he has put up with from me. I think I have my issues that I have been working with different sites and people on pretty well in control and am looking forward to a day of just browsing my car club and maybe sending a few e-mails tomorrow.

Thank you for the hard and difficult work and lets pray that this weekend goes well. I believe that will be the litimus test to prove that the problem is truly completely fixed. I looked at the location that you provided for one of the otjhers and hadno problem finding and opening the cabinet file and it showed what it should.  I did however print out two of your posts to refer to in the furure should I need top.

Thanks again and tell Peter that I thank him.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 47 of 63

Ron65 I'm still subscribed to this thread so read this, thanks very much. 

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 48 of 63

<snip> and tell Peter that I thank him.

Ron

I'll second that.

The small tidbit of fairly decent news here is that I rebooted a while ago b/c I needed to uninstall/reboot/update Adobe SW player (BTW if you haven't been following, Adobe has had CRITICAL security stuff with many apps (Illustrator, Acrobat/Reader, SW Player, etc) across all platforms and all versions for several weeks now, info here: http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/).

I assume that McAfee phoned home to check for updates upon loading.

<gulp>I did NOT (repeat: NOT) get a prompt about available updates at that time.

I think this is a good sign.

So perhaps 5865 is gone for good.

At least for now.

If all is working normally, I assume the next real update shouldn't be available until tomorrow.

So, as I wait for the next shoe to drop, I have a question: how often does McAfee phone home to check for updates? (I assume that's how auto update works.)

IOW, if there is still a problem, how long do I have to agonize before I can expect to hear the now-dreaded chime telling me updates (shall I call them "downdates"?) are available?

(I'm actually heading out to agility class with my pooch until late tonight. So, if it does popup and chime, it will be the proverbial "tree falling in the forest".)

Thanks,

MM

PS I think we all should get our subscription price refunded with interest as a small token of McAfee's appreciation for having alerted them to their server problems! (Yeah, right.)

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 1/20/10 7:10:55 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 49 of 63

Chime?  I'd forgotten all about them as I turned then off ages ago.

I think it checks every 4 hours or is it 40 minutes...can't remember.

Brian will know.

BMann
Former Member
Message 50 of 63

Catching up on this from home:

Post 44 (MM) - Pull the ping once you realize the dats have rolled back.  Some of you on the thread are paying close attention to this so earlier the better, though usually you'll be hitting the same server for ~24 hours.

Main reason for not being able to do remote is because what's on my system and the network I hang out in because of the research side of things.

Post 45 (MM) - Thanks, check the server and it's definitely all good at this point.

Post 46 (Ron) - Thanks much for the feedback Ron!  Good to hear things going right

Post 48 (MM) - Adobe stuff was fun, Aurora definitely more painful at this point.  The product phones home every 4 hours to check for updates.

Have a great night all and I'll be checking back in in the morning.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community