cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 31 of 63

Re: McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

BMann wrote:

The rollback issue was resolved on all servers overnight.  However, one thing we are finding is that some ISP's are caching the files so working on getting that resolved as well.

Hello, Brian:

Well, I suppose that might partially account for some of this.

I see that 5867 is now posted as the current DAT at McAfee.com.

I will wait a while longer to try to update.

I'm sure I can get to 5867 eventually with one or more manual updates (even if I get rolled back to 5865 first), but I'm tired of the ping-ponging back and forth.

MM

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 32 of 63

Re: McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

BMann wrote:

I have validated from work and home PC's that 5867 is live and getting installed.

So until you have confidence in turning those updates back on you can take a look at this file to verify for yourselves that we've got the issue resolved.

Hi, Brian:

Well, now I am really confused.

I followed your instructions.

A screenshot of the cab file is attached, showing the server version as 5867 (as expected).

However, it also shows my client version as 5855!!!

This conflicts directly with the DAT file information from the McAfee "about" screen, a screenshot of which (taken just a moment ago) shows 5866.

FWIW 5855 was the "bad" DAT file from 2 weekends ago.

Please advise.

I have not attempted to update yet.

MM

BMann
Former Member
Message 33 of 63

Ignore the Client-DatVersion section, that XML file is not reporting what you have on your system.  You only need to look at the piece I called out in my post.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 34 of 63

OK, well, then I guess I will give it a shot.

So, aside from the server issue at McAfee, there was also a cache issue with some ISP servers (which would explain why this was widespread, but didn't affect EVERY user)?

MM

BMann
Former Member
Message 35 of 63

Why it wasn't affecting everyone, and why some were recovering faster than others.  We've implemented some changes now that will not allow the files to be cached and that should be picked up globally in the next 24 hours.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 36 of 63

BMann wrote:

Ignore the Client-DatVersion section, that XML file is not reporting what you have on your system.  You only need to look at the piece I called out in my post.

Tried a manual update.

Got a transient "system not protected", so I told it to "fix it".

It worked, and I got back to "I am protected".

But the DAT is BACK to 5865 (1/18/2010) (it had been 5866 before this).

Please advise.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 37 of 63

Brian:

Are you at McAfee?

Can we screen share?

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 38 of 63

Manually updated AGAIN and it took me from 5865 to 5867.

Who knows how long this will last, or if the problem is solved.

FWIW, the update I did ~30 min ago that took me from 5866 back to 5865 (before reupdating to 5867) was the 1st time in all of this that I got the transient error message of "system not protected", requiring me to fix the "problems".

At this point, I am beginning to wonder if what started out as a genuine, serious issue with McAfee servers hasn't somehow become something else.

One thing is certain: I am completely mentally wrung out by all this unnecessary aggravation, stress, lost productivity, and wasted effort.

MM

FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 39 of 63

I made a big mistake by checking for updates manually today. Now my computer is downloading vso_dat again. I have a dial-up connection and this is going to take over 3 hours to download. I shut my computer down twice and as soon as I connected to the internet, vso_dat started to dowload again. I have the automatic updates off so I don't understand why it starts to download whenever I connect to the internet. As I stated in another thread, I have had issues with these long downloads on 1/10/2010 and 1/16/2010. These Virus Scan downloads lasted over 3 hours. Normally, my Virus Scan updates take no more than 3 minutes. Last night, I was still receiving automatic updates and Virus Scan was about to download for another 3 hours. I shut my computer down and I turned off the automatic updates so I was able to stop it last night.

What can I do to stop this vso_dat file from downloading? I think it is the same file that downloaded on 1/16/2010. Is this product compatible with a dial-up connection? I am starting to wonder even though I never had any problems prior to 1/10/10. I think these Virus Scan downloads are going to be a problem for a while. These downloads slow my entire computer down and it is almost impossible to do anything on the internet when these long downloads are in progress. It took me ten minutes to get into this site.

user_6
Former Member
Message 40 of 63

Hello,

here in France, 10.45 pm, my 2 computers ran automatical updates to Dat 5867 without any trouble.

I hope it will be the same for all my partners of these long days... I hope also that support technicians change their answers!

And I hope we have no more such problems.

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community