cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BMann
Former Member
Message 1 of 63

McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

McAfee is currently working on resolving this issue.  We will update this thread once issue is resolved.

Thank you for your patience.

62 Replies
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 2 of 63

Re: McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

Hi, Brian:

Thanks for letting us know.

I'm going to sit tight with DAT 5864 for now.

Updater is set only to notify (not to download or to install), since the last "update" was 5860 again just a few hours ago.

(If I try to install the "update" it will most assuredly roll me back to 5860, and I will have to try to -re-update back to 5864.)

I sure hope McAfee fixes this before all the home users who update silently start getting their "system not protected" messages when the DAT file becomes sufficiently out of date.

Most of them probably don't know what they don't know about what's been happening.

Only those of us who monitor our updates are probably aware.

Please pass along to "corporate" that, after last weekend's similar prolonged (~3 day) updating "issue", this is really unacceptable.

Given the fact that MS published a security bulletin just a few days ago about a critical vulnerability in IE 6/7/8 that is being actively exploited in the wild, the DAT file update problem is no longer just a nuisance and inconvenience.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/979352.mspx

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/default.asp

I'll look forward to definitve resolution soon!

Thanks,

MM

BMann
Former Member
Message 3 of 63

Re: McAfee Actively Working on Dat Rollback Issue being seen on Consumer Products

The issue has been resolved, just pending replication that shoudl finish up in the next 5 - 10 minutes.  On next update you should receive the 5864 DAT files.

Thank you all.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 4 of 63

Hi, Brian:

Thanks for writing, but it doesn't make sense.

Most of us already have 5864 (which we had to install w/ a manual update after "automatic updates" (1 way or the other) took us back to 5860).  Several times.

To reiterate from my recent post (see above).

I used to set updater to "download and notify".

Over the course of the day today, this process repeatedly took me back to DAT 5860.

If I ran a MANUAL update thereafter, I could install the *real* current DAT (5863 and, later today, 5864).

Once I did install 5864, I set the updater ONLY to notify (no download, no install).

For several hours, all was quiet.

However, about 2 hours ago, I was notified of another available "update".

Since I already had 5864 installed, this "update" HAD TO BE 5860 again (though I did not install it to find out for sure).

So,

>>>On next update you should receive the 5864 DAT files>>> just doesn't make any sense.At least to me, based on what's been happening with my system.

(FWIW, so long as I manually install the correct DAT, MVT is "clean", as are deep scans both w/McAfee and Malwarebytes AntiMalware. My system is not infected.)

Please clarify, if possible.

Thanks,

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 1/17/10 6:24:51 PM CST

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 1/17/10 6:28:29 PM CST
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 5 of 63

5864 installed here yesterday.

Updater still prompting me that there is an "update" available.

I have neither downloaded it nor installed it, since I assume it is 5860 AGAIN.

Would sure appreciate advice as to how to proceed,

Every time I've gotten 5860 in the "rollback", I've been able to manually re-update "forward" to the current version (5862, then 5863, then 5864).

But I understand others haven't been that lucky and I don't want to get "stuck" with 5860 and be unable to update.

Any word???

Thanks,

MM

Ron65
Former Member
Message 6 of 63

Brian,

The issue is definitely NOT solved. I have managed to manually update to 5864 but my neighbor wasn't able to do that. When he tried he went back from 5863 to 5860. This is the 2nd weekend in a row that the data file update has screwed up and that is just not good. Once in a while I have had a bad one over the years but the next day it was ok. These past two weekends are not the same and I can't understand how a security company such as McAfee doesn't have a server tech on 24/7 call and doesn't seem to really care about getting these things corrected. I am not familiar with your servers but I am no computer novice. I am retired from the old Bell Labs, worked some for Microsoft as a Beta tester, have several degrees in the Computer and Satellite field, and know for a fact that if anything went wrong while I was working for the labs, no matter when or what time or where I had to get on a plane and get there as soon as possible.

Just a suggestion. Take a look at Data File 5860 and also see if there is some common link between this last weekend and the one before when it messed up. The weekend before this mine would download the new file but not install it. MVT told me my files were up to date on that one so it isn't that reliabel either. This is the first time I have seen it roll back to an earlier update. Also please don't refer us to the Chat coverage as that is a joke. All they can tell you is to uninstall and reinstall the Security Center. About the same as contacting AT&Ts 1st tier techs.Only the only thing they can do is read off their prompter that it must be yur browser, yet they don't even know how a browser works.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a bit much and I have had great service with McAfee over the years so this is a little much. Peter has done a fantasitc job of trying to pacify people and many think he is the one that should fix it. They just don't understand that he is not the server techs. So to him for all those that don't know different and are getting angry at him I apoligize. The times that I have contacted Peter via this forum he has been a great person to try and find out what is going on. To bad the same can;t be said for the server techs.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 63

Those of you on slower connections may be doing a "catch-up" but give it time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/01/10 9:44:45 EST AM
Ron65
Former Member
Message 8 of 63

Peter,

My DSL isn't as fast as your connection, but it isn't the slowest either. I have the fastest available here and it is about all that you can push over wire before encountering errors. Wireless around here is worthless as we have to many mountains and the satellite connections fail continually because of weather conditions. I will continue to monitor this thread to see if they announce when we can turn the automatic updates back on.

Thanks,

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 63

I guess we city dwellers with high-speed cable are fortunate.  Good luck.

Ron65
Former Member
Message 10 of 63

Peter,

You are indeed fortunate. I live in town also but the cable service here is slower than the DSL. I have been trying for years to get then to put in fiber but this area is just to small and poor to make it worthwhile from a money standpoint. I miss the days with the labs when we had the super high speed connections between cities and states. Onec on a test we sent a whole copy of the Sunday Edition of the New York Times in just under 2 seconds without a single error, but that was just a test. I will quit bothering you and just monitor the thread to see when it is safe to turn my automatic updates back on. Florida now has Fiber to many of the upper scale homes and they have great speed.

Thanks for your patience,

Ron

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community