McAfee AV removed a file that was NOT a virus. How do I recover that file

How do I recover a McAfee deleted file

5 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee AV removed a file that was NOT a virus. How do I recover that file

When you open the software and look at Quarantined and Trusted Items, is the file listed within to where you can restore or delete it?

What type of file was it?

Tom K3TG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Also see

mjcooper
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Where might I find the Quarantined files, as noted by k3tg (above).

Note: I am new to this board and do not know how to respond to k3tg's post - less a new top level post.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

To open your software you need to tick on the red "M" badge on your taskbar. This will open up to the main page. Click on Navigation and in the center of the page scroll down to "Quarantined and Trusted Items"    then click on the arrows for Quarantined Items and you should be able to see the information within.

You may just have a False Detection which ExBrit sent you the link already to proceed further in getting your issue resolved.

I should have thought of doing that in my initial response to you.

Tom K3TG

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 6

Re: Re: McAfee AV removed a file that was NOT a virus. How do I recover that file

Hi

Please follow the below steps to recover the file (Proceed at your own risk since McAfee identified this as a threat).

Open McAfee GUI > Click Real Time Scanning > Turn Off > for 15 minutes > Apply

Open McAfee GUI > Navigation at top right > Scroll down until you see Quarantined and Trusted Items > Click on the file that you need to restore > Click Restore button.

You should be having the file now. Make sure you backup up the file to a different location before turning ON Real Time Scanning.

Post back for Clarifications

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community