cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SAW
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

MaAfee Total Protection Conflict with Dell SupportAssist

I use #McAfee Total Protection (will refer to it here as McAfee) on a Dell desktop computer with Windows 10

Everything worked fine for years.

About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that McAfee was not running and could not be manually started. I initiated service chat number 1-175038111. The McAfee technician uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee product and it ran fine. The issue was closed.

After I restarted the computer McAfee stopped working again. At the same time I noticed that I could not run #Dell SupportAssist. I uninstalled SupportAssist and McAfee started working after the next restart and continues to work fine while SupportAssist is uninstalled.

I uninstalled and reinstalled SupportAssist several times. Didn't help.

My problem is that I cannot have both Dell SupportAssist and McAfee Total Protection installed. SupportAssist is critical to maintain my computer up to date.

I welcome your advice.

7 Replies
krishna55
Message 2 of 8

Re: MaAfee Total Protection Conflict with Dell SupportAssist

Hi @SAW,

Greetings from McAfee.

Kindly exclude the dell support assist from the real time scan by following the steps in the below mentioned knowledge article

How you can exclude safe files from Real-Time Scanning

Regards,
Krishnamanikandan KS

SAW
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for replying to my message.

Please let me know what file(s) I would need to exclude from scanning (file name and location)?

I assume that I will have to reinstal Dell SupportAssist first. 

krishna55
Message 4 of 8

Hi @SAW,

Greetings from McAfee.

You have to exclude the dell supportassist from getting scanned. 

For any further assistance, you may also reach McAfee Support

Regards,
Krishnamanikandan KS

SAW
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

In order to perform the suggested solution, I needed to reinstall Dell Support Assist.

I did that and I ran McAfee. I followed the steps required to exclude Dell SupportAssist.exe from real time scan. I selected the file from the Program Files Dell directory but when I committed the file to be excluded, McAfee did not put it on the list. So I could not do the proposed solution.

I generated a new McAfee Service Request chat. This time the technician did not reinstall McAfee. He determined the McAfee application stopped while trying to do an update. He was able to resume the update and restarted the computer when  the update was complete.

It is now over a week since that was done. Both McAfee and SupportAssist are running without any problem.

SAW
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Unfortunately just two days after I declared that the service request was a success, it failed again.

I initiated a service request and opened the one that was closed.  I was told that my problem is a known problem and that McAfee engineering is working on it to come up with a fix and that a McAfee technician will contact me when that happens. Also that the time expected to have the fix is undetermined.

I have got McAfee Total Protection uninstalled since it was affecting other applications beside not giving me any protection.

krishna55
Message 7 of 8

Hello @SAW,

Greetings from McAfee.

Please contact our customer service using the link below to resolve the issue.

McAfee Chat Support

Greetings,
Krishnamanikandan KS

SAW
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

It has been many weeks since I first reported my problem to McAfee.  My most current Service Request is 1-179095651.  When I contact McAfee through a chat, I’m told “your case is under a Tier 2 department and that they are not able to help me”.  They tell me that a tier 2 technician will call me and that I will be notified when a solution is found. It has been days since my last chat and I have not been contacted by anyone from McAfee.

Can anyone from the community or McAfee tell me how can I further escalate my issue within McAfee so it gets resolved in a timely manner? Or should I give up on them start looking for another product.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community