cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmeyer4
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Lost Files

I just lost some files to the McAfee gods and went on a hunt to find out what was wrong with my machine. To my amazement not only is this being experienced by a lot of folks but that McAfee has the audacity to tells us tough sh_t that is the way it is and if you don't like it pound sand. In my case I can not find the files anywhere so it is impossible to submit the files to the McAfee gods for their approval.

So, here I spent about 4 hours trying to get a few files back only to learn that 1) I am out of luck and 2) Mcafee does not care and 3) I need to look for another protection program.

Thank you McAfee.
Labels (1)
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: RE: Lost Files

They aren't lost but will most likely be in the quarantine folder. Using the forum search would have found you a few clues as to where they are, or the help section in the Security Center itself.

Anyway follow the instructions in this sticky:  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/10 8:23:03 EDT PM
gmeyer4
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

New reality show, Lost Files!

Thanks for the follow up, I did a search and I read the other threads before i posted the comment. None of this was helpful. I am running 13.3 if it makes any difference.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

RE: New reality show, Lost Files!

Moved to VirusScan 13. There is nothing in the quarantine folder? Where were these files to start with & are you positive that it was VirusScan that removed them? Any other protection software installed?

If Vista or XP can you use System Restore perhaps? You'll have to update McAfee immediately afterwards, however. But that way you might at least see where they go, if they go.
gmeyer4
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Ex_Britq

Thank for your help, I have spent too much time on this already. This is a serious flaw and should have been fixed a long time ago. I understand making the default position to be very safe but to declare yourselves God and have free reign over any file that passes by my computer is too much. And to continue to do this with total disregard is unacceptable
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

RE: Thanks Ex_Britq

Well, the whole point is that they would be in quarantine. If they aren't then something else is at play here. ViruScan doesn't simply obliterate files without telling you anything at all. There would have been all kinds of warnings. Are you absolutely sure it's McAfee?

Technical Support Chat is available 24/7 if you would prefer to deal with McAfee staff as I'm just a volunteer here.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community