cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BritAngie
Former Member
Message 11 of 26

RE: Google Earth Trojan?

I've had the same problem with two warcraft patches which have been on my pc for well over a year now. I've also emailed web immune and got back inconclusive but have not had any follow up now in over a week now. sad All this happened in the last two weeks or so like other users.
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 12 of 26

This is getting beyond a joke, COME ON MCAFEE SORT THIS OUT!!
D_Murph
Former Member
Message 13 of 26

I agree.

If this doesnt get resolved soon, I will have to find some other virus protection program as this is unacceptable :mad::mad:.
michael07
Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Combofix

I had a severe trojan on my pc who took control over it. I was not able to start most exe files, computer was shut down by nt-authority system and so on. i tried many anti-malware programs (avert stinger, mc afee rootkit-detective and a-squared free) which could not solve the problem.
Finally i succeeded by using cc-cleaner in safe mode, then combofix (i had to rename it first), and then Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to eliminate the trojan. I had to reinstall Mc Afee Internet Security Suite because it didnt work anymore.
While scanning the pc after reinstallation of mc afee it recognizes combofix as a
generic!artemis but this program saved my pc ...
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 26

RE: Loads of false "Generic!Artemis" errors

Generic!Artemis is generated by the new Active Protection component of VirusScan and can if need be, turned off.

See; http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=227790

While some detections are not malware, many are so don't think it's just labelling items as that for the sake of doing it.

If you feel it is wrong there are clear instructions on what to do on that link.
michael07
Contributor
Message 16 of 26

ok, i think in most cases artemis will find malware but in this case it was wrong.
however no problem, i restored it from quarantine.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 26

As the OP (original poster) are you OK now? With VirusScan 13 as against 13.3 you must, at some stage, have installed active protection manually from here: http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/landingpages/activeprotection.asp in which case it will be listed as a removable item in your Control Panel/Programmes.

It comes as part of VirusScan 13.3 and can be turned off in the Security Center itself in that version only.
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 18 of 26

Hi Peter,

I have never manually downloaded "Active Protection" neither does it appear in my Add/Remove programs list. The original file "Google Updater" now runs ok, as I sent the file to McAfee, however I still use another peice of software that is detected as Artemis and even if I restore it from my Quaranteen list, as soon as I run the program it is immediately detected again and removed. I have also looked through all the options etc within Mcafee Security Center and can find nowehere to disable Active Protection. If I want to run my software I stop McAfee for 15 mins then start it up again, so although it's a pain, I can at least use a workaround. I have sent the exe file to McAfee in the hope that it can be excluded from the protection list.

Regards

Tony
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 26

That's strange - is your protection provided by your ISP or PC supplier by any chance? I can only assume that for some reason it has been included in the package they give you.

It isn't officially part of Security Center versions 8.x or 9.0, just 9.3.

Did you read the link I posted earlier, it has a guide on where to locate it within Security Center? But if you do have version 9.0 I doubt that it will show.

I hope that the programme that is still being detected will be included in the database soon.

I had a similar occurrence here, submitted it, and by the next day they had included it.
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 20 of 26

Nope, I just download Security Center from the McAfee web site and install only the VirusScan part of it. I did check what you suggested in your link but Active Protection is not shown anywhere, all I know is that it is SC9.0.

Regards

Tony
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community