cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 1 of 26

Loads of false "Generic!Artemis" errors

Am I the only one getting loads of false errors lately. I couldn't even download Google Earth from the main Google site as McAfee said it was the above. I have had other programs and files that I have downloaded and know are legitimate suddenly disappear only to find Mcafee has Quaranteened them.

Security Centre:
Build: 9.0.295

Virusscan:
Version 13
DAT Version: 5521.0000
Engine Version: 5300.2777

Is there anything I can about it, or is this in hand and being dealt with?

Cheers

Tony
Labels (1)
25 Replies
jackthomas
Former Member
Message 2 of 26

RE: Loads of false "Generic!Artemis" errors

hi, try this:

1.Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
2.On the left, click Reports & Logs.
3.Under Recent Events, select the log entry for your application and click View Log. An explanation of why it was quarantined (as a Potentially Unwanted Program, virus, etc) will also be displayed.
4.Using the information from the log, select your application and click Trust to add the application to the trusted list.

5. update mcafee

keep us posted.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 26

I will see if I can reproduce this issue. meanwhile try submitting that file to webimmune.net
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 4 of 26

Hi Jack,

I tried what you suggested but there is no record in the Recent Events. The only record I can find is in Restore -> Files. It shows Google Updater.exe and the fact that it thinks there is the Generic!Artemis Trojan contained within the exe file.

Regards

Tony
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 5 of 26

Hi Vinod,

I don't have a file to sumbit, as the file is deleted as soon as it is downloaded from the Google web site, even if i try to restore it, McAfee quaranteens it again straight away. I used the option, "Send to McAfee" from the restore list.

Regards

Tony
Bobby_b
Former Member
Message 6 of 26

Can you be a little more specific?

Number 4 is not quite clear enough. I cannot select "Trust" while viewing the log.

WHERE is one to "select" the application (in my case a dll) so the "Trust" option can be clicked?

Remember this is version 13 we are discussing. It does not allow you to "trust" an item before quarantining it.

When restored, an item gets quarantined again really fast.

FYI, I don't know if others are affected, but it's my roboform.dll that's kicking out and that's a real problem. Since I'm not sure where passwords are actually stored, I won't be sending any copies of the file.

This just started happening a few days ago, not last year when this low-risk virus was identified, so something in a recent update has set off this problem.

BB
tailz2002
Former Member
Message 7 of 26

RE: Can you be a little more specific?

Same for me, nothing in my recent events, so no way of trusting anything and it has only just started over the last week or so, not had the problem before..
D_Murph
Former Member
Message 8 of 26

I have also come across the same problem just a while ago here. Two programs I have been using are now coming up as "Generic!Atermis Trojans" and I have repeatedly restored them only to have they be promptly quarantined again :confused:

I have had these programs (Allok Video Joiner and Ultra Quicktime Converter) on my PC for several months without issue and now I cannot use them without disabling my virus scan temporarily.

Please help!!
D_Murph
Former Member
Message 9 of 26

I am just after sending the 2 files in question to Mcafee in the restore/remove/send to Mcafee option and have just been replied to on both counts by AVERT Labs...

For Allok video joiner..

AVERT Labs - Beaverton Current Scan Engine Version:5300.2777 Current DAT Version:5525.0000 Thank you for your submission. Analysis ID: 5135860 File Name Findings Detection Type Extra--------------------|------------------------------|----------------------------|------------|-----allok video joiner.e|inconclusive | | |no inconclusive [allok video joiner.exe] Upon analysis the file submitted does not appear to contain one of the 200,000 known threats in the AutoImmune database. The file may contain a new threat, or no code capable of being infected. Your submission is being forwarded to an Avert Labs Researcher for further analysis. You will be contacted by AVERT through e-mail with the results of that analysis.

And for Ultra quicktime converter..

AVERT Labs - Beaverton Current Scan Engine Version:5300.2777 Current DAT Version:5525.0000 Thank you for your submission. Analysis ID: 5135865 File Name Findings Detection Type Extra--------------------|------------------------------|----------------------------|------------|-----ultra quicktime conv|inconclusive | | |no inconclusive [ultra quicktime converter.exe] Upon analysis the file submitted does not appear to contain one of the 200,000 known threats in the AutoImmune database. The file may contain a new threat, or no code capable of being infected. Your submission is being forwarded to an Avert Labs Researcher for further analysis. You will be contacted by AVERT through e-mail with the results of that analysis.

I guess I just have to wait and see if they can resolve this sad
ruedi_staehli
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Google Earth Trojan?

I have the same problem. Trying to download Google Earth 5.0. When the download of Google_Updater.exe is done, McAfee finds Generic!Artemis (Trojan).
Is this an error or is Google's file infected?
Kind regards from Bern,
Ruedi
www.ruedis.ch
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community