Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJP1964
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Likely false positive - Need some help to confirm

Jump to solution

Hello Community.

Over the past weekend, I had 18 files put in quarantine.   I wasn't sure what they were, but I deleted the quarantined files.   Today, these showed up in quarantine again - 8 of them this time.    These are bin files, and the target directory is appdata\local\microsoft\identitycache and the threat name is ti!e3b0c44298fc.

I suspect these are Windows Update files and McAfee is blocking them incorrectly.

Screenshots attached.

I have tried McAfee support (several times) and after spending several hours,  one of the agents suggested I call VPP -- and I have been on hold for over 45 minutes.   

So I decided to come here for help.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose this issue - and what would be the next step to resolve?

Thank you,

Doug

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: Likely false positive - Need some help to confirm

Jump to solution

I can confirm. This false positive was corrected a couple of hours ago. You should see these cache files no longer being detected shortly (if not already).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

I can confirm. This false positive was corrected a couple of hours ago. You should see these cache files no longer being detected shortly (if not already).

DJP1964
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Thank you for responding - this is truly appreciated.

I am super impressed that my issue was resolved in 7 minutes using the Support Community.

I was super frustrated with my McAfee support experience - several chat agents went through the same script (which I understand is the process) - but none of them seemed to understand the question I was asking.   VPP didn't answer after being on hold for over an hour.

The fact you are a McAfee employee restores some faith in the company -- so kudos are definitely in order.

Cheers,

Doug

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community