Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 131 of 152

Re: Latest update causing excessive CPU and Floppy Drive activity

"Machine gun floppy"  © Hayton, post #5 in this thread

I almost wish I hadn't coined the phrase. Descriptive, though, isn't it?

The sticky update problem has been much discussed. I've seen it myself, quite frequently, on XP. The update gets to 99% but the last stage fails to complete, and then everything gets bogged down in treacle. There is no other way I know of to cure it other than by re-booting, which tells McAfee to finish off the final incomplete stage.

At least there are workarounds for both these problems, if you find they still occur. I thought they'd both been fixed

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 132 of 152

Still on XP here.

nigelbtn
Former Member
Message 133 of 152

This is really a reply to all. Back in update number 87, dougr_t3_support gave details of the problem and a fix scheduled for the June timeframe. Would it be possible to find out if this fix has been released to us and if so how do we identify if we have it loaded? Thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 134 of 152

That is the floppy issue fix I said above that fix is due next major patch. You are correct re June but we mods never say a date as things always get extended. I would say it will be soon. Will find out date.

Peacekeeper
Message 135 of 152

Word is release of floppy activity fix is mid July starting australia and korea I assume then throttled release rest of the wold in coming weeks/days. more when I hear more.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 136 of 152

Thanks. I was actuaqlly going to ask what you found out when I came here today.

Peacekeeper
Message 137 of 152

I will not mention a date as for sure that will jinx the release. I haven't an XP box any more so cannot test it. I will find out more next Monday's mod call

mjminer
Contributor
Message 138 of 152

Ummm, so how many XP + McAfee users are left?

Will anyone notice a fix being made?

Just curious.

Peacekeeper
Message 139 of 152

Re XP unsure I upgraded myself and so did my daughter but then our PCs had the specs to upgrade not all have sufficient specs or afford to upgrade.

Re noticing it either I will mention it here or post the build number that will show I will try to get more info on mext Mondays call with the techs.

Peacekeeper
Message 140 of 152

Floppy fix ( machine gun noise) coming out tomorrow to 12.8 security centre. Will be Au and Ko areas first then 1 week Us/Uk and rest 1 week later.

I will post build number when i get it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community