cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 121 of 152

Re: Latest update causing excessive CPU and Floppy Drive activity

No fix some reports of improvement but no guaranteed fix . Can others please check the floppy thrashing issue please and if fixed post their version numbers.

Re slow down issue they are still having getting logs issues (incomplete logs obtained) once they can get a full log they will chase up users again to obtain new logs.

milstone
Contributor
Message 122 of 152

Peacekeeper --

My McAfee Security Center version is 12.8; build is 12.8.944; last update is 4-15-2014

Antivirus & Antispyware versiion is 16.8; build is 16.8.708; last update is 4-24-2014

Vulnerability Scanner version is 2.8; build is 2.8.716; last update is 11-14-2013

mjminer
Contributor
Message 123 of 152

FWIW: I looked it up:

Empty disk install

Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 (Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHz, 3 GB ram)

Install WIndows XP SP2 from Dell install disk.

Upgrade to SP3 (took hours!).

<< All Normal >>

Install McAfee from download site.

<< Horrible performance: Win Explorer takes 1 min+ to start; Internet Exp takes 90+ secs to start.>>

Add/Remove programs,

Remove McAfee

<< Performance back to normal >>

install alternate AV product

<< Performance still normal >>

In my case, CPU usage did NOT show through the roof - it showed minimal (a surprise to me, but I'm quite sure)

Procmon did show a lot of Volume activity (see earlier post), which I did not understand at the time (Thanks Hayton).

Though the HDD light showed minimal activity.

Diskette drive chattering.

Unplugging the diskette drive did not change anything (other than that the chatter stopped).

If you're still having a problem reproducing, you're welcome to trade my computer - which definitely has the problem - with a nice shiney new something, and you can keep it to do all your future QA work. No problem...   🙂

milstone
Contributor
Message 124 of 152

After more than ten hours of no floppy drive chattering, the problem has returned. The CPU loading problem is still there too.

mjminer
Contributor
Message 125 of 152

Ummm, did McAfee do a daily update and replace your fix-in-test with the "correct" McAfee updates (which don't include the fix)?

Peacekeeper
Message 126 of 152

They can repro it they ran logs on 2 Pcs for 4 and 10 minutes but when they viewed teh logs there was a problem using the data. As soon as they figure what is causing this they will rerun the logs.

milstone
Contributor
Message 127 of 152

mjminer -- To answer your question --

None of the software engines I reported the build number on yesterday, i.e., Security Center, AV and Antispyware, Vulnerability Scanner, have been changed.

In my previous posts I mistakenly referred to the Vulnerability Scanner as the culprit in causing the CPU loading. I should have said it was the Real Time Scanner.

Message was edited by: milstone on 4/25/14 1:10:54 PM EDT
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 128 of 152

Has this been fixed yet? The last upsate to the SC on my system was May 21 , 2014.

Peacekeeper
Message 129 of 152

The fix for the machine gun floppy is next release (major patch)as far as I gather the slow down issue has not been reproduced or Logged even due to log issues. I will chase the techs up again.

this on xp I forget what you have?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/06/14 1:49:26 PM
Graffin75
Former Member
Message 130 of 152

Machine gun floppy issue... nice name... sums it up well, though there's no bullets flying out of it thankfully!

The slowdown only happens during the update. Most times the update downloads and installs in the background and doesn't afffect what i'm doing at all.

There are occasions where it will actually get stuck in the update process (after 15 minutes, if I click on the tray icon it still says McAfee is installing an update). That's where internet access is blocked and I notice quite a bit of a slowdown with using any other software. It seems the only way to get unstuck is to restart Windows... and even there it takes about 5-10 minutes to shutdown (normally well under a minute for XPSP3, and even less for my Windows 7 machine). After it restarts, I get McAfee to check for updates, it finds it and installs it without a problem.

So, whatever it is, it's a very temperamental bug. I can live with that, but please remove the machine guns LOL

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community