cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 41 of 152

Re: Latest update causing excessive CPU and Floppy Drive activity

OK this is what I found when My Daughter complained yesterday that XP started to suck very bad.

1. There is an issue with performance and floppy noise if you have a floppy installed. This is being looked at fix for the moment is disable the floppy in device manager.

2. In her case she had installed the full version trial of malwarebytes it has a real time scanner that was clashing with the Mcafee scanner badly. Disabling either scanner allowed the PC to function. Do you have anather full version scanner installed  is so only use the free version of Malwarebytes or other free scanners.

3. She also had indexing of c drive selected on boot so the mcshield scanner was working flat out till indexing complete this slowed the PC till the indexing was complete. I deselected indexing of you could index only my documents. This is in open explorer right click on c drive and properties and deselect indexing.

I wonder if those using XP and complaining about slowness have either of 2 or 3 issues above. I need to know so I can point Mcafee to it. My other XP box is stable and does not have 2 or 3 present.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 42 of 152

On my system , I have MalwareBytes free version installed , but only activate it when I want to run it. Indexing is selected.

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 43 of 152

I've always had indexing of the C: drive enabled, but McAfee's always been the cause of slowdowns on my systems (both XP and Windows 7)... the most noticable slowdown is when the program updates (either downloading new virus definitions or who knows what in the background... some times 2 or 3 times a day), occasionally it seems to jam... even when there are no other programs (other than Firefox) open... the update process seems to take forever, never completing, and whilst that's happening, I can't browse or download or do anything.

This latest problem with the floppy drive, well, I knew that was McAfee straight away because it just updated, then 30 seconds later my drive is grinding away (hell loud).

I realise most systems don't have floppy drives anymore, so i'm fine with disabling it in Device Manager and only re-enabling it if/when I need to use it, but it still is a minor inconvenience, and one McAfee should have tested for.

Peacekeeper
Message 44 of 152

When you get a slow down open the task manager and check the cpu usage and what programs are using most. There is a possibility Firefox is clashing with Siteadvisor so some ( a few) posters say.

This has not been reproduced in the office as yet mine is fine though my Wife's win 7 PC slows sims 3 when Mcafee updates.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 45 of 152

Hi All,

Users having Slow Performance when McAfee is Installed and does not have a Floppy drive Please share the below information to proceed further..!

RAM:

Operating System:

List of Programs Installed (Required)

Service Pack:

nigelbtn
Former Member
Message 46 of 152

Hi. Do we have a possible estimate when McAfee will release a fix for XP constant floppy drive access afer the update back on 3/14? Thanks

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 47 of 152

Hi Nigelbtn,

We will post this information when it becomes available but I have not been told anything yet.

Would you please post your computer information that Selvan requested in post number 44 and Peacekeeper requested in post number 40.

Thank You

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 48 of 152

Hi nigelbtn,

We have been informed that we are progressing on this issue. We will post here when we receive an update from the Concerned team. Highly Appreciate your Patience..!

nigelbtn
Former Member
Message 49 of 152

The request to post computer information appeared to be for issues with McAfee and NO floppy drive installed.

I have a floppy drive and it is constantly being hit since the update that JmcKee and Hayton referenced originally.

This was reproduced by Peacekeeper and passed to support on the Monday 3/17 call almost 2 weeks ago!

I realize I can disable the floppy in device manager but occasaionally I have a need for it so I would prefer a fix to McAfee. Thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 50 of 152

Mcafee also reproduced that issue in house and raised a bug report 10 days ago. The work around is easy to use and issue stops also if a floppy is inserted so it can be used. As there is a work around the issue might take a while if other issues are ongoing ( My feel not definite).

The request I and Selvan asked for where if you did not have a floppy.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community