cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digitech2009
Former Member
Message 21 of 152

Re: Latest update causing excessive CPU and Floppy Drive activity

We are computer delear, and we trust, byt the moment, in mcafee. We have notice during the last two weeks an anormal behaviour in our custormer runnning mcafee viruscan plus 2014 on windows xp sp3 machines. They all complain on an slow system performance, and an increase of the floppy disk activity. We think, as any other times, that mcafee release a buggy update. Can any one help us or provide any solution for this problem?

Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 152

Issue pointed out to Mcafee in our Monday mod call. They have seen this themselves on their own setup so they are looking into it. They users can disable the floppy in the bios till a fix released that is what I have done.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 23 of 152

We've been able to reproduce this problem and have captured sufficient logs to file a bug on it today. 

This issue is now in the hands of the Developers, but I'll keep following up with them and report any *concrete* results back here.

Regarding the workaround mentioned by Peacekeeper:  you can also disable the floppy drive in Device Manager, which is probably faster and easier for most people.

Message was edited by: dougk_t3 on 18/03/14 5:20:39 EDT PM
oagard
Former Member
Message 24 of 152

Hello,

Will excuse me my sincerity, but when it happens these problems with the McAfee software, you send a person turn off this and that and another series of things, send reinstall software and things like that ...

In a bit a person to use the McAfee software only with the computer off ...

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 152

A reinstall can fix a corrupted install these things happens and easy to just take it off and replace it with a clean install.

The turn off suggestions are workarounds till a fix comes better than swearing hourly fighting a misbehaving software.

It is my and Mcafee practice to supply a workaround till the fix arrives . If you use the Pc in the off state do you use the screen as a canvas? My sincere comment

We mods keep reminding Mcafee of current issues

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 26 of 152

So i'm not the only one... good to know.

I have McAfee Total Protection 2014 installed on 3 PC's (2 laptops running Windows 7 and a desktop, soon to be replaced, still running WinXP SP3). My XP system's floppy drive has been vibrating like mad, so I disabled it in Device Manager. That stopped the grinding immediately.

Could you please let us know when McAfee has fixed the problem so I can re-enable the floppy drive?

Cheers!

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 152

Will do

rc1946
Contributor
Message 28 of 152

Have five computers, three have floppy drives. The three with floppy drives started having excessive random accessing of the idle floppy drives on the same day about a week ago. Disabling Real Time scanning is not a reasonablesolution.  Have temporally disabled floppy drives in device manager.  McAfee needs to come up with a solution ASAP.

Have used McAfee for years, but getting tired of their updates causing computer problems one or two times a year for the last few years.

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 152

A bug has been filed last Monday so the issue will get attention . Do you still use floppies I have not had 1 in my PC since I bought it 4.5 years ago. This workaround should not be too much of an inconvience unless one is a heavy user of old software.

As mentioned I will update this and the other threads when a fix is applied

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/03/14 6:50:58 AM
jk7868
Former Member
Message 30 of 152

I am a small business owner that is running into this McAfee Internet Security / Total Protection XP SP3 Floppy thrashing problem after the last update.  I have two computers doing it now.  Over the past few days I contacted McAfee thru Support and they had me do the remove/reboot/reinstall thing, still have floppy accessing itself when Real-Time Scanning is running.  I could plug in a floppy and it would stop, but don't want a floppy in all the time.  They elevated this issue to Tier 2 support who called me and took control of the PC and looked at a few things.  The uploaded some data from my system and said they'd get back to me.  Two days later (this morning now), I got a call back from McAfee's Tier 2 support and the gent explained that this was an XP problem, that XP was not being supported by Microsoft anymore (actually it's 4/8/14) and McAfee would not be fixing the problem because it was Microsoft XPs problem.  He then went on to say that Microsoft would not fix the issue either because they will not support XP anymore.  He further explained that this came from McAfee development and they told him that I would have to disable and enable the floppy whenever I wanted to use it.  

I thought I'd research and update folks here with what I just experienced.  Perhapy McAfee will reconsider this position, seeing as all was working well until this latest update and XP is going no-support on 4/8/14 and has not already done so.... 

Please fix - was a happy camper (for 10yrs) until I ran into this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community