cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 1 of 152

Latest update causing excessive CPU and Floppy Drive activity

Just received a large update tonight. The only thing I see that was changed was the engine number and the version of VS to version 16.8.708. Immediately after the download , during the install and for at least 10 minutes afterwards , the cpu was 50% or higher and the floppy drive was being accessed such that the system was loud. Turned off Real Time Scanning and it stopped doing that. Turned it back on and it started again. After a little bit the cpu calmed down and the floppy access only flares up with a new program or web site being accessed.

Anyone else experience this?

Message was edited by: jmckee on 3/13/14 10:40:24 PM EDT
151 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 152

Re: Latest update causing excessive CPU and Floppy Drive activity

Hi Jeff,

You stated: " Just recieved a large update tonight. The only thing I see that changed was the engine number and the version of VS to version 16.8.708.

Are you saying that you are just now being updated to " 16.8.708"? For this has been my Version/Build for the longest. Are you currently running  MSC-  "12.8.934"? The prior version was " 12.8.908" before the last "Build" change.

I realize that when one is Upgraded/Updated to Version/build changes can vary, dependent upon certain variables. Whether you purchased directly from McAfee, or being offered by your ISP. This can be determined of by your "affd" number. Being "affd:0" if purchased directly from McAfee.And to include "Geographical Locations"

As for an increase in my CPU, or excessive noise from my Floppy Drive. I can say with certainty I have not experienced such. I am running Windows 7- Sp1 x 64. If Iam not terribly mistaken, you are running Windows XP-Sp3 ?  Are you connected by High Speed Broad-band, DSL, or Dial-up?

Simply a combination of the ever-increasing ending of support for XP, and your individual means of Internet connection could play a large part in your "Increased CPU usage, and demand on your system resources.

I may be incorrect in my assumption, just a thought. In other words, could it be that your mentioned system affects be caused by other factors, than McAfee itself. Hopefully someone with more knowledge beyond the realm of my experience, could add to this discussion.

I probably did not answer your question ,  just  wanted to mention my immediate possibilities for your concerns.

Have a Good One,

Kind Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
oagard
Former Member
Message 3 of 152

Hello,

Here also started happening the same thing as the "jmckee".

Here in one desktop computers that have installed the floppy drive, started yesterday after updates "McAfee Total Protection 2014," the floppy drive to work and then always try to read and has no disk there.

The floppy drive is always switched on and off and always trying to read something even without anything inside.

I to end this unpleasant situation, had to go to the Hardware Windows XP SP3 and disable the floppy drive.

Another problem with the McAfee software.

I hope that McAfee solve this problem.

greetings,

Rui Porto

McAfeeTotalProtection2014.JPG

sol
Former Member
Message 4 of 152

I have not experienced these issues with my update. I would agree with CD.

The purpose of a beta is to have a large variety of global users with various system configurations/applications. It is impossible for ANY software no matter the purpose to update and meet EVERY system configuration and condition.

Many people simply get the beta version to have the latest and greatest. They don't necessarily participate in the testing and don't provide much content. That being said.... there are also the conditions of cyber crime and the advanced technologies, minimal to major catastrophic threats, as well as old outdated OS/programs. I believe end of life for WinXP is forth coming.

The company is in a constant improvement mode attempting to globaly impact the cyber crime while attempting to please every customer they have regardless of their proactive participation in testing and willingness to update with the technology. Its not easy for everyone to stay ahead of the game, but don't take it out on the messenger.

freindly reminder

Sol

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 152

No matter if they try the beta...they will still be stuck with 12.8 using XP as that's the highest available for that OS.  Even so, high CPU usage should not be happening assuming that removable media drives are unchecked in Real-Time Scanning Settings, and Technical Support can help in that instance.

Tech Support is free of charge and available via Useful Links at the top of this page.

XP will be supported using 12.8 until that version reaches end of life which should be sometime in 2015.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/03/14 9:54:01 EDT AM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 152

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this.

After a major McAfee update a couple of days ago something was repeatedly trying to access the A: drive. I don't mean just a quick 'brrrr', which is normal and expected; rather, this was like a prolonged burst of machine-gun fire, repeated over and over for about half an hour. in the end I shut down and re-booted, not once but twice, and after the second re-boot the machine-gun noises went away.

I'm curious to know what it was that was attempting to access the floppy drive, and why.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 152

A question for our weekly call perhaps?   I haven't seen it here, but then I'm Vista and above, & no floppies.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/03/14 3:04:05 EDT PM
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 8 of 152

Hayton:

That describes what happened in my case exactly. Just after the install completed , the A: drive (only floppy on my system) started being accessed rapidly and for several seconds at a time. Turning off Real Time Scanning stopped it. Turning it back on brought it right back. Rebooted and no change. Now , today , in 2 sessions with Real Time Scanning on , all is quiet.

The download of the update that came through took about 20 minutes on dialup , whereas normal daily engine updates take about 2 minutes. Had to be more than an engine update.

Definitely one for the Monday call.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 152

Hi jmckee,

I heard that similar cases were resolved by Reinstalling McAfee excluding Vulnerability Scanner. I have a Test Machine but it doesn't have a Floppy drive nor its Drivers installed. Could anyone repro this and post back the findings.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 152

Will try that later on today  you want it on xp or win 7? Mcafee has been accessing the floppy for a year or two that is why I have it disabled in the bios and actually disconnected. My newer PC has not got 1 and never needed it.

I will enable the floppy and test then reinstall without Vulnerability scanner active and see what happens.

Selvan the OP cannot reinstall as he is on dial up

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/03/14 7:11:32 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community