Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_118535
Former Member
Message 11 of 18

Re: Large file named 'Rootkit' scanned with anti-virus. 4 boot records detected

@Plevenco

This is what Wikipedia says about MBR.

A master boot record (MBR) is a special type of boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices like fixed disks or removable drives.

This means there will be one boot record for every partition. And if you have a Bootable CD inside the a machine even that may contain a boot record. So check how many partitions are present on your hard disc and if there are any CD in the system.

plevenco
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Ok well it kind of makes sense now that I have 4 boots records, as I have 4 disc partitions.

So does anyone know why I used to have 3 boot records when I have always had 4 partitions? (Because I have an HP laptop and they come with lots of bloatware)

Perhaps previously it ignored one of the partitions, but the recent update led it to record all of them?

Looking at my partitions I have 3  NTFS and one FAT32, so maybe it used to ignore the FAR32 one?

Purely hypothesising here but if anyone thinks that's likely i'd be happy to close the thread.

I've attached an image of my disc management screen for convinience

Thanks,

Plevencodisk management 2.png

plevenco
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Still no answer?

All i want to know is why it changed from 3 to 4??

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 18

We aren't experts on disk structure here but I would assume 1 for each partition.    That question is best asked on an actual Windows help forum.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/11/13 6:19:45 EST AM
nylaw620
Former Member
Message 15 of 18

I had the same rootkit situation on a new computer as well as a scan of a flash drive. I went online & downloaded McAfee's rootkit remover. Remover Scan said there were no virus'. Glad to know that scanning Rootkit is not a scan of the file but for the file, which does take a long time. I concur that they need to relable this as it caused my heart to stop. A new computer that I am taking on a trip to do work, Not an enviable thought

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 18

nylaw620 wrote:

I had the same rootkit situation on a new computer as well as a scan of a flash drive. I went online & downloaded McAfee's rootkit remover. Remover Scan said there were no virus'. Glad to know that scanning Rootkit is not a scan of the file but for the file, which does take a long time. I concur that they need to relable this as it caused my heart to stop. A new computer that I am taking on a trip to do work, Not an enviable thought

See the first reply on page 1, quote:

The wording of that Rootkit message is misleading. We've already had a go at McAfee about this. It means "Scanning for rootkits", not that it's found one. Don't panic. Eventually they'll get around to changing the wording. In the meantime a lot of people get alarmed needlessly.
nylaw620
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

Once I saw your response in reply to a similar issue---the first one in the series, the panic stopped, but thanks for the further heads up

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 18

Yes and as wheels move very slowly we are still pushing them on this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community