Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 13

Re: Re: Laptop hibernates when scan starts

Your first post says that the laptop goes into Sleep mode after a McAfee Scan starts, which it shouldn't do. We've seen this behaviour before, on Windows 7 machines, and the cause may be the same on Windows 8. In fact the problem on Windows 7 isn't with Sleep (which is the old Standby mode) but Hybrid Sleep.

On Windows 7 the OS polls all active programs and processes before going into Hybrid Sleep mode and waits for a reply from any of them saying that's it's busy doing something. If none of them send that reply, the OS will enter Hybrid Sleep mode.

We had reports that McAfee scans on Windows 7 were being interrupted by the machine entering Hybrid Sleep mode, and it seems logical that the McAfee program was either not recognising the OS poll or not responding to it. This was reported to McAfee (see below) so they should be aware of the problem; I haven't heard anything about this for some time.

I first asked McAfee about this on September 17th 2102.

Win7 Sleep mode.  In this thread a user says that Win7 goes into Sleep mode during a scan. This appears to be a change Microsoft introduced for Win7, when they brought in Hybrid Sleep : the OS polls services and programs for permission to enter Sleep mode and will do so unless one replies that it is currently active. Does the McAfee code recognise this request from the OS and reply to it?

I asked again on October 29th that year, without getting an answer. The question was still unresolved on April 22nd 2013, when I brought it up again. The only response I can find came in after the first conference call, and it just said

1. Doug had sent an email to the MSC Dev guy on the 18th, asking if we monitor for and respond to OS sleep mode announcements.  No response, so he just sent a follow-up.
  2. If he still get no response, he will be forced to open a bug just to get a question answered

As far as I can make out the issue got sidelined because of some high-priority emergency fix or other, so my best guess is that whatever needed fixing in the McAfee programs still needs fixing. Or perhaps it was fixed for Windows 7, but not for Windows 8.

For more detail on the Hybrid Sleep problem see these posts from the thread linked to above -

(Post #19) - links to a Microsoft FAQ

See also Posts #21, #25, #50

Just to be certain that I've understood this correctly :

- Have you encountered any other program which is active and busy when the machine enters Sleep?

- Does this happen every time you run a McAfee scan?

- How long after the scan starts does the machine enter Sleep mode?

There is a suggestion in this document - information supplied, not in any thread I can find, so perhaps privately - which might work around the OS-polling problem. If the scan is a scheduled Windows task, it says, then Windows itself controls the scan and so Windows should reply to itself when the pre-Sleep polling starts. It's intriguing, but I have no idea if it works.

chrismaher
Former Member
Message 12 of 13

thanks Hayton

I first noticed it in July when another program was running - uploading a video to Youtube. But it may have been that Mcafee was running as well and I didn't notice it. Since then I made several changes to the Power Options from various suggestions but it still happens.

The only program that makes it hibernate when active is Mcafee. However, it does often hibernate when inactive, even when it's told not to by the options in Power Options.

The scan usually gets to 17 per cent or something before hibernating. After that, I bring it out of hibernation and it hibernates every 60 seconds or so until I cancel the scan.

thanks for your help...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 13

Sounds very much like its doing that to protect itself and I suspect that means the battery is either on the way out or something is overheating.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community