Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Just In Time Debugger?

Here's a peculiarity...
... has anyone come across a popup window called "Just In Time Debugger" asking which program to use to debug a script (suggesting Microsoft's) - when running an on demand scan from the right-click context-sensitive menu in Windows Explorer?

Only just came across it for the first time today - might be a peculiarity associated with what I was doing at the time, but some searches of the forum show that this came up a while ago for some others too in different contexts.

Since SC/MAV is based on IE, I expect there to be some crossover in the kernel/interface, but never seen this before, so just wondering!

Cheers,
Goph.
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: Just In Time Debugger?

Got Visual Studio? How to Enable/Disable Just In Time Debugging

Or

Open the registry (use regedit, Click Start, Run, Regedit).
Go to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script\Settings\JITDebug
And set it to 0.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

No - haven't got Visual Studio - but I've read that the debug console can be disabled thru IE settings. Was just wondering why this was coming up, and if anyone else had seen it.

Will keep an eye out to see if it was a one-off occurrence...

Cheers,
Goph
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

I've also had a few weird errors pop-up regarding scripts etc. with certain web pages and I have debugging disabled. Not sure if recent Microsoft updates pertaining to security certificates may have triggered it or what. They never seem to repeat so I can't really troubleshoot them.
gregpierce
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

I'm getting the same "Just-In-Time debugging" window when scanning

This debugger pops up when I leave my pc to scan overnight. It's definitely related to mcafee because I see a blank mcafee window when it's there. Until I click "no" in the debugger window about 50 times, the mcafee window remains blank. Then it just continues scanning... I don't have Visual Studio, nor is my registry setting (mentioned above) set to 1. I have recently installed Adaware, and Windows Defender (thought my entire pc is a fairly recent rebuild too). Any clues how to make it stop? Should I remove Mcafee and reinstall?
Thanks,
Greg
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

RE: I'm getting the same "Just-In-Time debugging" window when scanning

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with McAfee per se, but the only people to help you with that would be the Technical Support people. The Chat link is in my signature. meanwhile I will flag this to ask if any of the technicians have seen it.

Do the registry edits in this post help: http://www.vhxn.com/how-to-solve-just-in-time-debugging-error-in-windows-start-up/ or is that a repeat of above?
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

The JITD window comes up if you have a programming IDE installed which includes it. Visual Studio has been mentioned before in this thread. In my case, I get a JITD window because I have the Borland Delphi IDE installed. Having MS Script Editor installed may also cause it to appear.

You can stop the JITD window from popping up by disabling script debugging in Internet Explorer:
-> Tools
-> Internet Options
-> tab: Advanced
-> in the list, under Browsing, check the box "Disable script debugging"
-> click Apply, and OK

You may also want to uncheck the box "Display a notification of every script error".

If you have Visual Studio (or Compaq Visual Fortran) installed, you can turn off the JITD feature in general. Open Developer Studio, select Tools, Options, Debug. Then uncheck the "Enable Just-In-Time Debugging" box and click OK.
gregpierce
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Thanks all. The IE setting did the trick. I wonder if it was my install and/or use of MS Access 2007 (and the VB component) which may have altered that setting. Anyway, I guess it doesn't address the cause of the script errors on the McAfee scan page, but I don't really care about that anyway.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Glad you are OK now.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community