cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nooblets
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

JTI/Suspect.262401 cmd.exe Virus

My friend has had McAfee installed for ages.

He is the most security conscious person in the world, who doesnt click any links, go to any sites, or download anything that could give him a virus.

Infact he is scared to death of them and has Virus OCD! and has never done anything that would bring him close to get a virus.

Yesterday Mcafee gave a Virus warning:

JTI/Suspect.262401
C:\Windows/System32\cmd.exe

What is this Virus please, and how is it even possible of him getting it, when he never does anything to pick a virus up?
We have no idea where its come from and thats the most worrying part?

Please Help

4 Replies
karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: JTI/Suspect.262401 cmd.exe Virus

Hi @Nooblets 

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.

The true cmd.exe file is not a virus but a safe Microsoft Windows system process, called "Windows Command Processor". However, writers of malware programs, such as viruses, worms, and Trojans deliberately give their processed the same file name to escape detection.

These files often enters the computer using a different trustable software which could be downloaded from a website. Kindly check for any new programs installed and remove them, reinstall it from the official website if the program is needed.

Launch McAfee -> Settings -> Quarantined Items -> Select the infected file and delete

Thanks,
Karthikeyan J

Nooblets
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for reply

What is Suspect.262401?

Like I said he has Virus OCD so is someone who NEVER would click or download anything he wasn't 100% sure about.

2nd he has Mcafee Installed on his computer, and has Mcafee Browser on.
So how could a virus be Missed by Mcafee? and get past the browser and be installed? Thats entire point of buying your software.

Mcafee Browser say he entered ZERO/NONE dangerious websites or links?

karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Nooblets 

Thanks for your reply.

That was one of many possibilities and we would need more information about the detected file to find out the source. I have sent you a private message requesting those details due to the nature of this issue. Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks,
Karthikeyan J

Nooblets
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hi he wiped his pc the day he got the virus
The best I can do is the day he got it

07/04/2021

Like I said Mcafee was installed, he never clicks and links and goes to any bad websites.

But some how the CMD.exe got installed on his pc.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community