cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 90

Re: Itunes - Why does McAfee delete my itunesprefs.xml?

racer_x wrote:

Ex_Brit,

I submitted the sample file, the response I received seemed that they only subjected the file to a virus detection analysis, and not address the issue of the real time scanner, deleteing the file:

Analysis ID: 7762860

File Name            Findings                       Detection                    Type         Extra

--------------------|------------------------------|---------------------------- |------------|-----

itunesprefs.xml     |inconclusive                  |                            |            |no  

inconclusive [itunesprefs.xml]                                                                     

I have also installed the latest version of iTunes (11.1.2.31 - released 11/22/2013) and the problem still appears to be with Real time scanning.

RacerX

As Tony says, they are still testing that.   Your date is off, I hope your system clock is accurate.   You meant I think 10/22/2013.

As several A/V's are doing this in some cases and not in others, I do hope that Apple is trying to figure out what they've done?

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a fix at this end, but it's not the first time an update to iTunes has caused it to start losing it's memory.

I've found it to be one the most temperamental pieces of software I ever installed on my machines.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/10/13 6:25:06 EDT AM
racer_x
Contributor
Message 22 of 90

Yes the date was a typo.

Regarding iTunes version, I was running 11.1.1.11 since August. I had also done the August, September and October Windows Patches and iTunes continued to work properly.  This new round of itunesperf.xml being deleted coincided when the McAfee update on 10/17/2012 was pushed out.  In the Apple forum post, you can see another user that posted on the 17th so this confirms the date.

The common thread is Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, running Total Protection 2013 as in these versions:

SecurityCenter: 12.x

VirusScan: 16.x

Personal Firewall: 13.x

SiteAdvisor: 3.x

Anti-Spam: 13.x

Parental Controls: 14.x

File Lock: 3.x

QuickClean and Shredder: 12.x

Vulnerability Scanner 2.x

I don't use the Parental Controls, File lock or Vulnerability scanner, since I don't need them.

The only work-a-round right now is to temporarily disable real time scanning prior to closing iTunes, then turn it back on.  The file is only deleted when iTunes is closed.

I'm not saying that real time scanning at entirely at fault, but the experts at McAfee should take the lead and get some engineers to work together with Apple to get to the bottom of this.  Pointing fingers is a waste of time, or saying McAfee is going to "gee we hope Apple figures it out" is not what customers are expecting to hear from McAfee.  Apple can't look at your code to see how they interact, and you can't look at theirs, a collaboration is needed here.

Racerx

ambiod57
Former Member
Message 23 of 90

I can also confirm that I was using itunes 11.1.1.11 since August along with McAfee Anti-Virus Plus. In fact I have been using both programs together for over a year.  For me, the problem only started with the McAfee update released on or around the 17/18th of October.  Prior to that date, both programs have always worked together.

Like racer_x,  the only reliable way I have to shut down iTunes is to disable real time scanning before doing so. Surely it can be that hard to fix?

Message was edited by: ambiod57 on 10/24/13 11:22:59 PM CDT
blackcloud
Former Member
Message 24 of 90

racer_x wrote:

The common thread is Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, running Total Protection 2013 as in these versions:

I'm running Windows 8. I'll third what ambiod57 and Racerx said in the two posts above mine, that the problem only started with the 10/17/13 update to McAfee. Before that I hadn't experienced any problems. I've been using McAfee AV since April. (It's whatever came bundled on my Dell, but the version numbers are identical to what Racerx posted, so I'd guess the products are identical.)

I'd also like to note that I am experiencing problems with Mozilla Thunderbird as described in this thread on the Mozilla forums. Disabling real-time scanning seems to be the effective solution in this case as well. This problem only began with the newest updates to Thunderbird and McAfee. It would seem there's something in the latest updates to all three programs that cause them to disagree with each other.

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 90

RE thunderbird disable eamail scanning in the real time scanning settings that is far safer than fully disabling RTS. This happens regularly with TB updates time thigs got sorted. Mcafee is getting logs from some users to fix this. I also am affected using TB 24.0.1.

Re itunes to you 3 above during this issue of Mcafee updating when was the last itunes update so 11.1.1.11 has been around a while and is the current verion you have? Is any other AV users ie AVG users etc complaining on the itunes site?

Note only fishing nere as not an itunes user

ambiod57
Former Member
Message 26 of 90

Peacekeeper wrote:

Re itunes to you 3 above during this issue of Mcafee updating when was the last itunes update so 11.1.1.11 has been around a while and is the current verion you have? Is any other AV users ie AVG users etc complaining on the itunes site?

Note only fishing nere as not an itunes user

I believe that iTunes 11.1.1.11 came out around August.  So up until 17/18th October both itunes and McAfee Anti Virus Plus were co-existing peacefully on my Windows 8 machine and had done so with various  updates of both programs for over a year.  For me the problem started following the McAfee update on the 17/18th of October, specifically this one:

SecurityCenter

Version: 12.8

Build 12.8.856

10/17/2013

Apple released an update to itunes 11.1.2.31 a few days ago.  This is now the version I have installed.  It has not fixed the problem of the preference files getting deleted.  Given my problems started following the Security Centre update and that I can elimate the problem by disabling real time scannng before closing itunes, then the problem seems to rest in the Security Centre update.  Is is possible for me to 'rollback' the security centre to an earlier version?  I suspect probably not, but if so it would help identify the source of the problem.  Unfortunately I have no information about  AVG.

Hope this helps

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 90

It appears that McAfee may have to provide a patch for some bad coding by Apple as Apple appear to be doing nothing about it.   (It wouldn't be the first time A/V companies have had to do this sort of thing).    I experiences this way back when and never connected the dots assuming it was a glitch in iTunes (wouldn't be the first time)..   I will bring it up on our Conference Call on Monday but I need to know, is it only on Windows 7?  Also is AVG et al still doing it?

Meanwhile everyone should be escalating this through Technical Support as your voices together will have far more effect than mine alone.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/10/13 7:46:24 EDT AM
ambiod57
Former Member
Message 28 of 90

Hi Ex_Brit

Thanks for your interest.

No, its not just Windows 7, as I am running Windows 8.

I do appreciate what you are saying and I can see how AV companies can be used as the scapgoat for what could be a range of issues, but ultimately I have more money and interest in the music/films/videos etc invested by me in iTunes, than I do in McAfee Anti Virus Plus.  I could quite easily (apparently) switch over to Windows Defender (or other programs) and uninstall McAfee, but I am making the decision not to at the moment.  I have used various McAfee Anti Virus software over the  years, (believe I am reasonably familiar with it), and do have a certain degree of 'brand loyalty' for McAfee.

You would think that both companies could work together to achieve a working solution for the people that use their product (or products).  I'm not particularly impressed by Apple, but I use iTunes a lot.  Therefore, whatever solution gets iTunes working again (update, patch, uninstalling a particular program) is the one I am going to go for.

Again, I do appreciate you raising this issue at your Monday conference call and am more than willing to provide any logs (or extra information) you require.  Please let me know if I can be of assistance. 

ambiod57

Message was edited by: ambiod57 on 10/25/13 6:49:15 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 90

You were typing your post just as I was revising mine above.   I understand and thanks for clarifying that it's on other OS's too.   I will also email someone I know in Support and ask about the best way of dealing with this.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/10/13 7:58:10 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 90

We have another thread on this issue https://community.mcafee.com/thread/61841?tstart=0

(Posted for support purposes}

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community