Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pepez
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Is one av pattern file per day enough?

I have been chewing the following question over for a couple of weeks:

Why does McAfee only provide one anti-virus signature update for McAfee VirusScan per day and it is released nearly at the same time every day?

McAfee has the second largest market share of the antivirus markets, however nearly every other well-known Anti-Virus vendor

provides far more than one update per day.

For instance:

Symantec     ~230 updates/d

F-Secure      ~6    updates/d

Kaspersky    ~16   updates/d

BitDefender   ~18   updates/d

Dr. Web        ~22   updates/d

Avira             ~4    updates/d

(source: av-test.org)

Of course, it depends on how many new malware detections there are in one update, but it is also a question how long is the time of response against new malware and vulnerabilities.

What do you say - is a single update per day enough to keep you protected against cyber threats?

on 1/30/10 11:05:01 AM CST
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is one av pattern file per day enough?

230 a day?  People complain enough about 1.   It's a corporate decision and as it used to be once per week it's already been upgraded.  The 1 per day from McAfee would include a lot more I suspect than Symantec's individual updates.

Whether there is room for improvement is, I guess, up to the developers as to where to strike the happy medium between effectiveness and practicality.

There have been more than 1 per day on many occasions.  The SecurityCenter in fact polls for updates every 4 hours and if one is available will pull it in.

pepez
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Yes, of course av pattern files for McAfee VirusScan contain more malware detections than Symantec's because McAfee releases only one by day.

Anyhow, the point is how many new detections does a McAfee customer, like I, get per day.

For instance, Dr. Web kindly informs on its homepage, how many records there are in the malware database. The amount increases by at least 2 500 during one day.

If each McAfee's av patter file contains over 2 500 new detections, too, then there's no big difference.

However, it'd be more reasonable to release more than one pattern file per day, because then it would take less time to download and install.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

I would agree with you and I am sure that these things are under constant review.

silverhawk
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Here is the mcafee per day database update for threat according to the DAT file number.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/DATReadme.aspx

pepez
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Thank you!

I remember visiting there before, some weeks ago.

It says:

New detections: 265

Enhanced detections: 202

That's a way less than 2 500! Well, let's hope that the heuristic of McAfee is very effective, then .

Does anyone know, if the total number of records in the malware database is available somewhere?

Message was edited by: pepez on 1/30/10 3:41:20 PM CST
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Where it is written Symantec gives 2500 detection per day, it is not clear, and cannot be taken a solid answer in every scenerio, well Symantec does post larger threat database, more then 10 times regular file database update and 5-15 minutes pulse update, but McAfee does has a good artemis database. Symantec also has the same technology name as SONAR2..The most important thing is how wisely you surf the internet and keep your McAfee or Symantec security software updated as well as Windows OS, and other softwarers.

pepez
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Here are the update frequencies: http://www.av-test.org/numbers.php .

I wrote that the malware database of Dr. Web increases by at least 2 500 new detections per day.

I have also read about the Artemis technology of McAfee Online Threat Intelligence web community.

But the point is that I can have my computer protected by some free antivirus scanner & firewall, and that way be protected againt the most well-known worms, viruses and spyware. But if I pay for an antivirus software, I expect to be protected not only against the most notorious online threats but also against other kinds of unwanted programmes.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community