cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jack_aubrey
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Is McAfee no longer appropriate for XP systems?

I have been a McAfee subscriber for a long time but am increasingly unhappy with its performance on my XP dual core system (however, it works just fine on my new newer Windows 7-based i5 laptop).

First, a full scan now takes so long that I just don't bother. I mean 24 hours or more, as compared to about an hour on my W7 laptop. I noted a considerable amount of discussion about this issue in the McAfee forum. I have learned to live with the problem by excluding ZIP and other compressed files from the scan. This reduces the scan time to about 10-12 hours, which is still extremely slow.

Second, during the past month or so, I have been receiving frequent Windows error messages that a Synchronization Application had to close (mcsync.exe). These messages are annoying, but worse, make me concerned that part of McAfee may no longer be protecting my system. There was a lot of discussion about this issue on the forum a couple of years ago.

Just this morning, there was a new Windows error saying that McAfee 32-bit helper encountered a problem and had to close. This now makes me even more worried that some or all McAfee components are no longer active and, hence, the system is not protecting me.

So, I would like a straight answer: Do the Windows error messages mean that some or all of McAfee has been disabled and, hence, my system is not fully protected in real time?

There are still many millions of XP-based systems in use, so I wonder if these problems are mine alone.

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Is McAfee no longer appropriate for XP systems?

XP SP3 32-bit is still supported as long as you keep it completely up to date (64-bit XP never was supported).   I've seen similar errors in XP, Vista and Windows 7 and have for the most part, ignored them, especially if when opening the SecurityCenter all is reported OK and green.

There have been some issues reported with slowness on dual-core machines however and perhaps you may benefit from having Technical Support take a look at your XP setup.  It's a free phone call and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Before doing that you could try running the Virtual Technician (you'll have to anyway when contacting support):  http://mvt.mcafee.com/  - it may repair whatever is wrong, if anything.

McAfee's policy on operating system support coincides with Microsoft's so there is quite a while yet before XP falls out of support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/06/12 8:00:32 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community