cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tripap
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Is MS Malicious SW Removal Tool useful?

I'm running Vista and one of the applications that MS pushes is its Malicious Software Removal Tool. I've been running Vista for almost 2 years and haven't ever used the program, and I'm wondering whether I'm wasting my time downloading and updated that MS product when I already have McAfee Security Center installed and working. Does the MS product do anything that McAfee doesn't do?
Tags (1)
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Is MS Malicious SW Removal Tool useful?

When MS Update installs this once per month it actually scans your machine for malicious software, behind the scenes. That's why the update always seems to hang for a while.

Yes it's an essential part of staying secure. Don't ever refuse it or otherwise defeat it.
cliff620
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I can't really speak to the effectiveness of the product.. However I can say we deploy it to over 10,000 machines monthly - without any issues (**If I could find an actual wood product in our office right now, I would knock on it**)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

I resort to my head in that case...LOL.
tripap
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the responses

Reading the responses to my question, I feel comfortable letting the tool be downloaded and updated as often as MS deems it appropriate. I'm satisfied that the thread should be considered closed.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

OK, good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community