cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billj
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Install messed up Java/Javascript in Windows XP

I was installing the latest version of McAfee Internet Security and during the install process about 3/4 of the way through, the Mcafee install screen went blank. I let it sit for 10 minutes and it eventually came back with install complete.

After install, I could not open Internet Explorer (worked previously). I rebooted. Still nothing. So, I did a system restore. I was now able to get into Internet Explorer but javascript wasn't working. I thought maybe mcafee did something to IE during the weird installation, so I installed a more recent version of IE - IE8 onto the computer. IE8 works, but java is not working. I noticed it goes beyond IE... Java doesn't work on my whole Windows XP computer now. I cannot get into applications that run this (ie. System Restore and even the McAfee Security Center screen). They just show up as blank screens.

Any advice??
Thanks.
Labels (1)
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Install messed up Java/Javascript in Windows XP

It's unlikely the installer actually did what you said - I suspect something was wrong to start with.

First what XP is this....I hope that it's SP3...? If it's less than that then it needs updating urgently. There is help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807

Uninstall Java from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Download the latest from http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

While in the Control Panel also enable Windows Firewall.

Uninstall McAfee if listed.

Go to Internet Explorer Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, then click Apply and OK and exit.

Reopen IE8 and re-enable the add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-ons.

Run the MCPR removal linked in my signature and reboot.

Reinstall McAfee from your account at the website.
billj
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I was able to uninstall & reinstall McAfee Internet Security and now the system works properly. Weird. I have install this over the years with no problems. This time on this computer, though, it must have messed something up in the install and recorrected on the reinstall.

All is good.

thanks.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I'm glad it's OK now.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community