cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lgd
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

IE problem after running fix from McAfee

A few days ago I got a message saying my “Computer & Files” and “E-Mail & IM” are not fully protected. When I clicked Fix, I got this message, “One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error.”

The problems I was having that were:

Real-time scanning is disabled.
Spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning is disabled.
IM scanning is disabled.
Script scanning is disabled.
Buffer overflow protection is disabled.

I contacted McAfee chat and they sent a fix. Ran it and it fixed that problem but immediately after and ever since I can't get into Internet explorer. This makes it very difficult to contact McAfee again about this problem. When I open IE I immediately get the standartd "internet explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down..." It does let me create and send an error report. At least I think it is sending the error report.

1. System is Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 3, 3.00 GB of Ram.
2. Currently installed are Security Center 9.3, VirusScan 13.3, Personal Firewall 10.3 and Site Avisor 2.9
3. I have DSL, not dial up.
4. Canada
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: IE problem after running fix from McAfee

Hi,
Can you provide us the version of Internet Explore IE you use? Let us know if you have any other Bowers (Mozial Firefox, AOL ….)
Steps:
Try to rest the internet explorer (IE) setting (Start –run-control panel –switch to classic view -search for Internet option- click on advance tab – click on reset button)
Perform the McAfee Virtual Technician in computer if you have any other browser and post the session ID http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp
lgd
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

ie not working

The IE version is 6.00.2900.5512. I don't have any other browser loaded which limits me further. Tried to a restore defaults on the advanced tab but it had no effect
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

RE: ie not working

Hi,

Download IERegFix.bat and save this to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegFix.bat
Double-click the IERegFix.bat on your desktop.
Once launched, you will be presented with Press any key to continue. To execute, press any key on your keyboard.
Note: This may take several minutes to complete.
When it is finished, you will see Action complete. Press any key to close. Please press any key on your keyboard to close the IERegFix.bat.
Try to boot the computer in the safe mode with networking (while rebooting/restarting the computer tap the F8 key-In windows advance menu select safe mode with networking ).
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community