Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 31 of 36

Re: I've got the dat 5958 blues!

cassmrc wrote:

Hi Ex_brit

Thanks for your prompt response,  I have now resolved the problem with internet access.  It was related to the 5958 issue, I updated last friday and have been suffering since.

But thankfully, its all back working again,

Where do I go to claim my 2 years subscription, not that it will give me 2 years back on my life with all the stress it caused.

I gather you are in  Ireland?   In which case if you contacted support they should already have done that, but to make sure you could contact the UK Customer Service, being your nearest office, either by phone or by online Chat.  I wouldn't try email as it is the slowest method.

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=2057&sg=CS&pt=1

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 36

jschulman139 wrote:

i was able to get the svchost.exe back where it belonged through repairing (not replacing) windows xp, using the dell restore disk, and can now copy and paste, but macafees still comes up as a big empty box and my internet connection isn't there. if i right click and run repair, it tells me that there is nothing to repair, and i can see that i have connectivity. but ie only opens with the current home page, and then doesn't go anywhere. do i still have to go in and delete the errant 5958 dat file? will that fix the problem? or should i still run the automated fiel (that i downloaded wfrom another machine onto a thumb drive?

thanks

jess

Blank boxes and navigstion issues could indicate an outdated browser, especially if you did a repair of XP.  Are you still using IE6?  Also any beta versions of brwosers will cause this.

You should have IE8 installed with all necessary updates.  If it continues contact Technical Support Chat.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/10 9:16:16 EDT AM
jschulman139
Former Member
Message 33 of 36

i HAD ie8 installed. it was working fine prior to the 5958 problem. i can't contact technical support via chat, because i can't get on the internet. should i try to install a different browser- like firefox. (i have that saved on a thumb drive.

thanks jess

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 36

Have you tried repairing the internet connection?

jschulman139
Former Member
Message 35 of 36

rep[aired internet connection. repair thingie says that nothing is wrong.

still doesn't work

Dinz
Former Member
Message 36 of 36

Hi jschulman139 ,

Sorry for the delayed response , Please confirm whether what happens when you click on the IE icon ?

Have you tried using any other browser to get online; like firefox ?

Please try to ping your computer and check whether we get a valid ip reply ?

Open command prompt (start - run - type cmd)

Type ipconfig /all

Regards,

Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community