cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirjackbull
Former Member
Message 21 of 36

Re: I've got the dat 5958 blues!

Hi followed all the steps in the download the fix and also the manual process. I copied over a new svchost.exe file from another system. I ran the sfc /scannow and still I get no taskbar, cannot alunch any programs and interent is lost. I stayed on hold tonight for help for over 3.5 hours.  HAs anyone else had the same issue and still not been able to resolved the problem? There has to be a way to get this fixed properly. I have spent days now and hours on the phone with horrible tech service if any agent is even available anymore!

missteekie
Contributor
Message 22 of 36

Hi there

My system is the basic XP home,  not realising the DAT file issue,  I had taken my machine to PCworld to to be fixed. Seconds off a reformat - thankfully got this sorted.

I've got the machine back now,  which I'm on.  The last outstanding issue the tecnies had was the copy and paste,  what he found is for some reason, in the i.e. under security the c & p had be unchecked,  and again for some reason it affected the whole of windows.

Just in case anyone has any lasting issues with c & p.

When this machine went down,  I could not save anything by any means,  thinking I was in meltdown.  No c & p,  drag and drop, not networking to get it off to other machines, no usb to get it to backup hard drive,  it felt like the heavens were coming down on me.

But equally,  being a home user with the usual 'restore' partition there is no repair install, over install or scannow against a disc.  With everything doomed on restore points & last known good configuration (safe mode) all seemed lost.

Wish everyone gets sorted,  I certainly don't think I could have coped with going in to the regedit etc  and  although could have download the fix file,  just how would I get  it on the machine ?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 36

I've asked for help here.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 36

Sorry, there are so many threads on this and the various connected issues that I'm getting lost..

Try the following as per another thread:

Go to this link and download the special tool which has just been revised and should cure all these issues.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

All it needs is to be downloaded from a working machine to a thumb drive or cdrom. The affected computer needs to be booted to safe mode, then you can run the tool right off the cd or thumb drive. After it's done, you should able to reboot normally and update your mcafee software normally.

By the way anyone effected by this 5958 issue can ontain 2 years extension toi their subscription and any expenses occurred reimbursed, within reason of course.

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 25 of 36

Hi,

The svchost file that you copied over may be different to the original - but there might be something else going on too.The support queues are way less busy at the moment - I would recommend calling them again please and asking they escalate the case.

Kind regards,

Sam

jschulman139
Former Member
Message 26 of 36

same thing here- but, i had to fix my temples computer fast!. there waas no response from macafee when this happened, so i had to do a repair install of windows xp in order to get the svchost back where it belonged (cause the secretary had not backed up the membership data and we had to be able to save it). Now we can't get on the internet  because when we try we get "the requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context ) (in other words, ie isn;t running).

i also can't run mcafee- when i click on it all i get is a big white blank box in the center of the screen.!

any thoughts!

cassmrc
Former Member
Message 27 of 36

This link doesn't work!

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

Can someone please help because I am really desperate to get this fixed.  I have tried copying the svchost.

After updating, I can no longer access the Internet, and according to my McAfee I have DAT version 5964

Please Help!!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 36

The link does work I just tried it.  Try right-clicking & opening it in a new tab.

Have you tried repairing your internet connection?

If you have the network/internet icon next to the clock, right-click it and choose repair.

With DAT 5964 you don't have the original issue that this thread is about.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/10 7:45:07 EDT AM
cassmrc
Former Member
Message 29 of 36

Hi Ex_brit

Thanks for your prompt response,  I have now resolved the problem with internet access.  It was related to the 5958 issue, I updated last friday and have been suffering since.

But thankfully, its all back working again,

Where do I go to claim my 2 years subscription, not that it will give me 2 years back on my life with all the stress it caused.

jschulman139
Former Member
Message 30 of 36

i was able to get the svchost.exe back where it belonged through repairing (not replacing) windows xp, using the dell restore disk, and can now copy and paste, but macafees still comes up as a big empty box and my internet connection isn't there. if i right click and run repair, it tells me that there is nothing to repair, and i can see that i have connectivity. but ie only opens with the current home page, and then doesn't go anywhere. do i still have to go in and delete the errant 5958 dat file? will that fix the problem? or should i still run the automated fiel (that i downloaded wfrom another machine onto a thumb drive?

thanks

jess

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community