cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 1 of 36

I've got the dat 5958 blues!

Just noticed that McAfee downloaded dat 5958. Now when I try to do a scan it stops at svchost.exe and gives a message that windows must shut down, DCOM server process launcher service terminated unexpectantly  system shutdown initiated by NT authority system.

It shuts down and restarts my computer so I am able to use the internet or work off-line. I just can't do a scan with McAfee. I'm using XP Service Pack 3

I see they are saying svchost.exe is deleted.

Does anyone know if McAfee plans to issue a fix for dat 5958, for people like me who have to hire outside tech help?  I don't know anything about fixing problems like this.

I read that proposed date 5959  won't automatically fix it   http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/04/broken-mcafee-dat-update-cripples-windows-workstations....

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 4/21/10 4:16:43 PM GMT-05:00
35 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 36

Re: I've got the dat 5958 blues!

That article refers to Enterprise solutions and what we have been told is that an emergency DAT will be circulated soon to rectify the problems that are occurring on some PC's.  I have the same update and no problems at all, so it isn't affecting everyone the same way.

I suggest to anyone seeing symptoms not to start a scan.

We've been told:

Please ask
customer facing issues (like svchost crashing, sometimes causing BSODs and
reboots) to hang tight – should be another hour or two before the fixed release
is universally available.

That was sent to me over an hour ago.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/04/10 5:30:33 EDT PM
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 3 of 36

Excellent!  Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 36

Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, This issue is been already reported & McAfee teams are working with the highest priority to fix the issue asap. In the meantime , please try to restart the computer in safe mode , uninstall existing version and reinstall the new version from http://us.mcafee.com as the latest 5959.0000 has a patch released on to the servers to fix the same.

In the meantime, I shall update you more on this when I get more info on the same

Regards,

Dinesh K
McAfee community Moderator

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 5 of 36

Do you mean re-install McAfee?  I bought the program on disk, can't I just use that?

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 36

Uninstalling from safe mode and then reinstalling with your CD should work fine. Please let us know how you get on.

Sam

cfy0217
Former Member
Message 7 of 36

I am new here. I had my computer shut down once yesterday after I tried to run a scan. I didn't know about all the problems. It restarted and I can access everything that I can think of. I know some people are having problems getting on the internet and windows. I just turned my computer off last night and hoped it would be OK in the morning. It updated the DAT file to 5859 this morning. Is everything alright or do I have to do something else to fix the computer. Like I said I have tried to access as many things as possible and have had no problems so far. Is it safe to run a scan?

Colleen

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 36

cfy0217 wrote:

I am new here. I had my computer shut down once yesterday after I tried to run a scan. I didn't know about all the problems. It restarted and I can access everything that I can think of. I know some people are having problems getting on the internet and windows. I just turned my computer off last night and hoped it would be OK in the morning. It updated the DAT file to 5859 this morning. Is everything alright or do I have to do something else to fix the computer. Like I said I have tried to access as many things as possible and have had no problems so far. Is it safe to run a scan?

Colleen

Colleen 5859 was the cure for the update that caused problems for many.   You should be OK.   It didn't affect ,some people anyway.

aivie
Former Member
Message 9 of 36

Attn: McAfee/Representatives (only please)

Re: Automatic McAfee Recovery Update, for the W32/wecorl.a (false positive) with the 5958 DAT file

Date of Incident: 04/21/10 McAfee Security Software

I am seeing others post comments that it is (not) recommended to run a "scan" on your PC.  My question is (when) will it be safe to ever run a scan again? I am just learning of all that transpired on 4/21/10, and my PC seems to be running smoothly in all operations so far this morning 4/22/10, after reboot.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 10 of 36

Hi aivie,

The issue actually occurred with the DAT 5958 , which is been right now pulled back and the mcafee download servers have been uploaded with DAT 5959 , hence update your programs and verify your DAT shows 5959.0000 .

Regards,
Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community