Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Computernewbie8
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

I'm not understanding this.

Hi all,

I recently kept getting a error report message at least once per day that pops up every time I strat up the computer. I'm currently using Windows XP service packet 3. I also got something saying Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and need sto be closed. This is all puzzling to me, any ideas how to fix this error reports I keep getting? I did ask Microsoft one time and when McAfee scans my computer every Friday, it comes up clean with zero problems. Thank you.

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: I'm not understanding this.

If you Google "Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem" minus the "" of course you get lots of hits.  This is more of a Windows issue than McAfee's.

thebigmac
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: I'm not understanding this.

ComputerNoob,

Sounds like the Windows installation is a little ragged.  The best thing you can do besides re-formatting is by inserting your windows disk into the CD-ROM, go to Start/Run and type in "sfc /scannow", windows will look for damaged files and possible solve the problem altogether.  Keep in mind the virus removal is VERY different from damage control, just because the virus is no longer present, doesn't mean the computer is fully operational.  Viruses write irresversable code to the registry.  This is the main source of frustration with viruses.  If all else fails, format, there i said the "F" word.

Also, if you decide to format, be sure to back up everything your gonna want after, formatting is a final process.

Best of luck

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/03/10 6:25:53 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community