Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

Hi,

I have been using McAfee Multi-Access Internet Security as part of my Windstream Internet subscription on my HP Desktop running Win 8.1 since December 2014 and everything is working great.

Two days ago I purchased a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 5555) running Win 10.  I immediately downloaded and installed McAfee on the Laptop too. I notice when I start the Laptop that my McAfee icon takes much longer to appear on my Taskbar than it ever does with my HP Desktop.

After waiting for about 2 minutes and the McAfee Icon still hasn't appeared,  I connect to the Internet and sometimes I get two separate "pop-outs" P(one at a time)  from the lower right side of the screen.  Each is about three inches long, black in color with a Red circle on the end with an "X" inside it.  One says "Anti-virus" and the other would say " Virus".  They only pop-out for no more than 3-4 seconds apiece.

Any idea what these notification mean and are they from McAfee or are they connected to Windows 10 or Dell?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

14 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

At the request of Microsoft, All Partners/Security Vendors have been asked to (Delay) some 'Start-up" services to allow Microsoft processes to load initially. This is not specifically associated with Windows 10, however can be construed more so.

I might add that even though McAfee (Delays) certain components/processes. This does not include all of the Security Applications at 'Start-UP' In other words, the (Delay) of your McAfee Icon appearing in your 'Lower Tray', does not mean that you are less protected.

I hope this helps,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

Did you remove any other 3rd party security software that may be installed by Dell?  Also I suggest you turn off Fast Startup as it prevents the machine from fully shutting down and can lead to software malfunctions.

Tutorial here:   Windows 10 Forums

Try running the Virtual Technician to check the software is OK:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

After observing Colleague Ex-Brit Suggestions. You may want to try running Malwarebytes (Free) for a second opinion,as it is highly recommended amongst us Moderators. To keep it (Free) DO NOT enable or activate the Free trial,or Pro Version.

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Re: Re: I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

Hi catdaddy and Ex_Brit,

Good to see some familiar names again.  Thanks for responding.

I am glad to see McAfee is still protecting me even though it takes a few extra minutes for its Icon to appear on my Taskbar.  I just ran the Virtual Technician and everything is said to be okay.  I run Malwarebytes free weekly and it has not detected anything in my first couple scans since I got this new Laptop.

I also followed your suggestion and turned off the 'Fast Computer Start-up'  option in Power Options.

I am still wondering what causes these two pop-outs on the lower right side of my Display referring to Network Firewall and Virus Protection soon after starting up and before the McAfee Icon appears?

Once again I thank you for your continued help.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

Re: Re: I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

It's Windows 10 alerts.   Not sure if they can be turned off to be honest, I would have to research that.   It could be that Windows Security Center isn't talking to McAfee for some reason and in which case I think maybe you should involve Technical Support.

It's free of charge by phone and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for the added info about the Pop-outs.  I'll try to research it further.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Now that I think harder about those pop-outs the more I think they may be McAfee after all.....sorry for being vague.  I've just got 10 myself and it isn't my prime system (am in 7 at the moment).

When I get a chance later I'll boot into 10 and check it out myself.

Have a great weekend yourself 😉

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

Hi Ex_Brit,

If you find anything out please post back.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Will do.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community