cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
modojosho
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

I can't turn off real time scanning

I'm trying to install borderlands two off steam but an error occurs. the way they say to get past this error is to turn off real time scanning but I follow the instructions but when I click on real time scanning nothing happens when ever I Google this nothing about this comes up' anybody know how to resolve this problem? 

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: I can't turn off real time scanning

You have to be logged in as an Administrator level user to be able to do that.  Open McAfee (not Windows) SecurityCenter > Virus and Spyware Protection > Real Time Scanning > Turn Off.

If you still can't do it, Technical Support is free by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 15

Hi

Are you indicating that McAfee's GUI is unresponsive while clicking on Turn OFF button. Or the options to Turn OFF RTS is grayed out. If it is grayed out then you don't have access to disable RTS which means that you are not a member of Administrator group.

modojosho
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

ok I'll try to turn administrator on

modojosho
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

i noticed I am already a administator

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 15

Re: Re: I can't turn off real time scanning

Please post back the version details of McAfee Installed on your PC. (Open GUI > Click About at the corner below > Post back the Details)

I would suggest to do an IE reset and try turning OFF RTS. Make sure you do not delete Personal settings so as to avoid losing your Bookmarks.

Open Run dialogue by pressing Win + R > type inetcpl.cpl > OK > In Internet options window click Advanced tab > "Restore default settings" > Click "Reset" > Apply > OK.

Restart Computer and check if you are able to turn OFF Real Time Scanning.

modojosho
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

security centre version 12.8

build 12.8.988

anti-virus and anti-spyware version 16.8

build 16.8.819

theglot
Reliable Contributor II
Message 8 of 15

You can also add the file/process to an exclusion in VSE so that file isn't scanned.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

Michael Glotfelty wrote:

You can also add the file/process to an exclusion in VSE so that file isn't scanned.

We aren't discussing VSE here.   Consumer products are totally different from Enterprise.

Consumer v12.8 doesn't have file exclusion anyway.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 15

Re: Re: I can't turn off real time scanning

I assume you have reset IE and Restored the default settings. Please check if you have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2010 installed on your PC. To check this Open Control Panel and navigate to List of installed Programs where you will find this Component.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community