Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparky_62
Former Member
Message 21 of 29

Re: How to solve "Your computer is at risk: Real-Time Scanning is off"

Jump to solution

Thanks tried it but it has been searching for mcafee installed products for 2 hours and not found anything

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 29

Jump to solution

Are you fully up to date with all of your Windows Updates, to include all add-ons and Internet Explorer. Even if you choose not to use it ,McAfee and other important programs do. To include the latest Adobe Flash Player 16.00.296.

It sounds as though you may have a corrupt installation. I would either do a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall following the guidelines here: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

If that does not resolve your issues,then I would follow Colleague Ex_Brit advice and contact Technical Support. It is available 24/7 and it is (Free).  Phone/Via Chat being much quicker.

All the best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
georgew15
Former Member
Message 23 of 29

Jump to solution

I have the same problem but scans do not run either including scheduled.  Is this caused by a technical glitch or is it a virus infection shutting down McAfee?  I'm sending this message from another computer but tonight I will do a data backup and try some of Ex-Brits suggestions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 29

Jump to solution

@georgew15 I would contact Technical Support by phone (or online chat as a second choice) - it's free of charge and I'm sure they can sort it out.

Link is below.

Before you do, make sure there is no infection.   Install/run Malwarebytes Free - see the link and instruction on keeping it free in the last link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

georgew15
Former Member
Message 25 of 29

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit, thank you for your follow up and instructions. 

I think reset worked, at least eliminated the McAfee not running issues, ie loaded real time scanning..  Before connecting to the Internet, I ran a complete scan which it also would not run before.  I noticed "root kit" flashing up on the screen as it listed the files then at the 99% it hung up on "root kit' for about 25 minutes (at that point I couldn't cancel it but eventually went on to other files and stopped running).  My subsequent albeit short test of connecting to the Internet, ie downing mail, etc. was successful.

My questions are

1) Is this the malware code "root kit" or is there a legitimate program by this name?

2) Should I run any other software from your list as a further check especially for 1 above.

3) Is there a way I can make McAfee load sooner, it takes along time to load and a couple decades ago this could be changed with autoexce.bat and config.sys could be changed.  I may have been connecting to the Internet before real time scanning is loaded. 

Thank you again

George

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 29

Jump to solution

1) Is this the malware code "root kit" or is there a legitimate program by this name?

The software is telling you that it is scanning for rootkits at that (rather long) point.

2) Should I run any other software from your list as a further check especially for 1 above.

That's you choice.  I periodically scan with Malwarebytes - make sure to update it first of course.

3) Is there a way I can make McAfee load sooner, it takes along time to load and a couple decades ago this could be changed with autoexce.bat and config.sys could be changed.  I may have been connecting to the Internet before real time scanning is loaded.

Not that I know of, best contact Technical Support for that, it's free by phone or online chat. Link in the post above.

luna1111
Contributor
Message 27 of 29

Jump to solution

I have had this issue since long time ago, and I found the solution, remove Mc afee and purchase another antivirus software that really works. I appreciate your patience about.

varonica
Contributor II
Message 28 of 29

Jump to solution

Follow  these steps to fix this issue  

1. Try to turn real time scanning on 

open mcafee product click on setting button 

click real time scanning. make it on 

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 29 of 29

Jump to solution

Locking this thread as it's too old.

Suggested action is to run the McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT).

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101111

You may also reinstall the McAfee product by following the steps below, if issue persists.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

cheers

Sanjay S

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community