Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vanishvirus
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

How to scan & delete critical files on a spare drive

Hi!

My system was recently compromised by a trojan which wanted me buy their virus service for $49 but

did not list any company name or website but showed a form which could be used to fill up credit

card info. It also took complete control of my system saying that I had many infected files and

did not allow me to do anything.I bought your Internet security center product for 3 users

but was not not able to install it on the affected system. So I installed the mcfee internet security

center on a new  system, removed the hard drive from the old system and added it to the new system

as drive E. I did a complete scan of drive e and find about 10 trojans. How do I remove these

trojans ? The scan says these have been quarantined. But if I move the disk back to the

old system, will they still be quarantied ? Will I be able to install the security center now ?

How do I also scan the critical files/sectors, etc. on drive E ? ( I think it check for these

on drive C on the new system but might not have checked for them on drive E )

Appreciate any advice or info on the next steps.

TOA

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to scan & delete critical files on a spare drive

The files are now encrypted and held within a special folder in McAfee.

Open the SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files (top left)

You should be able to remove all the quarantined files there.  That will delete them altogether.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/12/09 12:25:06 EST PM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/12/09 12:25:19 EST PM
vanishvirus
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response. How do I get the scan to read the critical files on drive E ?

I chose custom scan and scanned only drive E and noticed that it still went ahead

and scanned all the critical/system/rootkit, etc. files on drive C before starting to

scan E. I did not see the message about scanning for critical files on E.

Also, once I delete the quarantined files, can I move the disk back to my old

system and reboot or do I need to transfer the contents before I try

rebooting ?

TIA

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

That's the way it works I'm afraid.   Although when I open up Computer and right-click any folder on a drive other than C: that's all it scans on my machine.

You must be setting the scan from within the SecurityCenter itself.

As I have no idea what you have on drive E: I can't really say but if you quarantined some files and then deleted them then I see no reason why you can't put it anywhere you want.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/12/09 2:58:14 EST PM
vanishvirus
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the quick response.

The E drive is the system/boot disk from my old system. It has Windows XP and other files. So mcfee virus scan should look/scan

drive E just like as it scans drive C on the new system.

TIA

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Yes.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community